Sad day ... classmate committed suicide

TwoChicks

Songster
9 Years
Feb 9, 2010
Greer, SC
Hi all -

I had a terrible email waiting for me this morning. I just graduated college (as an adult) and one of my classmates who'd been in my study group for several years committed suicide Friday. I believe he was suffereing from depression.

It's so sad because we all knew he was struggling with being overwhelmed with work, school, separation ... he left behind twin sons, I think 4 years old. I (shhh ... don't tell anyone) helped him out with a lot of his homework towards the end, so we were in constant communication for weeks.

Thanks for listening, I just needed to unburden this ...

RIP Shane

Sorry to hear that. Poor children growing up without dad will suffer...too sad!
hit.gif

That is sooo sad! Depression can really creep up on you. It sounds like he was privately dealing with it! Then add up all the other stuff and it probally became hard to deal. I just feel sooo sorry for his children and spouse.

I have had friends parents commit suicide and the children always take it the worst! Such a sad thing to think there is no other way. GEEESHHH, that is just soooo super sad!
hit.gif

Last edited:
Sorry to hear.

I had a similiar situation happen about 5 years ago. A guy in my college class that I spoke to occasionally and he ran the college paper hung himself in the newspaper office and left a note.

You feel bad and you think, could I have done anything? It's a horrible feeling.

Quote:
That's exactly how I feel. We weren't super close friends, but I'd call him every few days while we were in school to see if he was needing help with his homework.

Every once in awhile he'd talk about his stresses, etc ... and I'd offer advice, though he never seemed to be that extreme in his emotions. My DBF
took me to lunch today and I told him it feels strange having to go on having a normal day when Shane is just gone forever. No take-backs, no do-overs.

He told me that sometimes people just decide to do it, no planning, they could seem perfectly fine and an hour later, they're gone.

I've never been in a situation that would even come close to making me think about taking my own life, so it's hard for me to put myself in that position of understanding. Intellectually I know why people do it, but emotionally ... thinking about leaving my horse, pets, friends, family behind ... I don't think I could do it.

It's just a terrible loss for his kids to deal with. I found out from his obit that he and his wife had lost their first set of infant twin sons. I imagine that started the end of his life.

Back
Top Bottom