Sad Flock. Will my young hens enjoy new additions?

If you have them in separate pens where they can see eachother, for a while, and since you are getting more chicks than the the 2, yes the youngers will get harrassed, but it is always better the more younger ones you have to introduce, then they cannot zero in on one chick.

I had a somewhat similar loss, flock size, and timeline to you. I did not try to put the young chicks with the older birds, and what I found was that the older birds had been on their own for so long that their personalities were a bit different. They did not mind being alone as much anymore.

So when everybody was large enough to be put together, the older chickens mostly ignored the newer ones. Even today (months later) there is cohesion but my now-only "survivor" bird cares a lot less about staying with other birds.

I had a somewhat similar loss, flock size, and timeline to you. I did not try to put the young chicks with the older birds, and what I found was that the older birds had been on their own for so long that their personalities were a bit different. They did not mind being alone as much anymore.

So when everybody was large enough to be put together, the older chickens mostly ignored the newer ones. Even today (months later) there is cohesion but my now-only "survivor" bird cares a lot less about staying with other birds.
Thank you for your advice!

If you have them in separate pens where they can see eachother, for a while, and since you are getting more chicks than the the 2, yes the youngers will get harrassed, but it is always better the more younger ones you have to introduce, then they cannot zero in on one chick.
Thank you for your advice

Back
Top Bottom