sad, just sharing

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Gazinga, Aug 12, 2008.

1. Gazinga

Gazinga Chook Norris

ok, so i ordered 10 orpington buff hens and got 9 and one roo. normal, i know. And since they are for eggs and i dont want to disturb any neighbors, i know the roo has to go. (if it crows it goes) however, i have grown attached to the little guy. He is truly a great rooster. I wil be sad to return him to the hatchery for the credit. I wil miss him.

just sharing my feelings

everyones thoughts?

2. IloveTravis

IloveTravis Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2008
    Aw, I know. Aren't they just the sweetest? [​IMG]
    Sorry you got attatched. If you really can't keep him, sometimes it feels good just to give him to a good home that will really care for him.
    Good luck with your little roo! I know just how you feel. [​IMG]

3. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    give him to a home that would care for him (maybe one you could visit?), move. find a way to muffle his crows. OR, maybe check with your neighbors. ask them if a rooster crowing would bother them. if a no. there ya go. no worries. If its illegal. Get a bunch of friends family and other chicken lovers together and get it legalized :}

4. Gazinga

Gazinga Chook Norris

[​IMG]

this is the little guy, and one of the girls

5. Linda in San Diego

Linda in San Diego Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2008
    San Diego
    Have you talked to the neighbors? Maybe they could love and let live? [​IMG]

6. Gazinga

Gazinga Chook Norris

yeah, i talked to the neighbors. they will NOT tolerate a rooster. The neighbors on the other side dont mind but the ones who do care are quite a nasty couple! i offered free eggs and everything. They are some of thos eternaly unhapy people and take it out on everyone else.

7. 2boxers

2boxers Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2008
    Halifax Co Virginia
    Maybe it's just me, but my neighbors don't pay my taxes, my mortgage, my bills, so they don't get to tell me whether I have a rooster or not. They don't consult me about their choices. I am lucky that my closest neighbors on one side love the sound of my roo, and my neighbors on the other side are cows.

I applaud your considerate nature, but if it was me, I'd keep the boy.

8. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Is it legal to keep a roo where you live?

9. newchickenfamily

newchickenfamily Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] He sure does look like a sweet boy. I feel your pain! I CAN NOT have a roo, in fact, chickens are not legal where I live, but we are under the radar. I would HATE to fall in love and know that I couldn't keep him! Best of luck!

10. swampducks

swampducks Overrun With Guineas

Feb 29, 2008
    Barton City, MI
    Once you start giving away your eggs. If your nasty neighbors ask why they don't get any just tell them without a rooster they don't lay as much.

I'm sure they'll believe you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by