Sad today and a word of warning

Baybrio

Songster
12 Years
Jun 11, 2008
Poplar Grove, IL
Over the weekend my first ever goslings hatched out of my Sebastapol's eggs. I was so excited, two lovely females and one male. They were doing great. I know I never would have been successful incubating them without all the wonderful info I find here. thank you all!!!

The sad news is today one died. We all know that geese will put everything in their mouth, what I didn't know was how "sticky" the gosling tongues are. I put a stuffed moose in the brooder and the one little girl must have played with the tag, a few strings got stuck to her tongue and I think she broke her neck trying to get free, she died in my hand while I was trying to get the string off her tongue. Her neck was already completely floppy when I found her. She didn't choke the string was not in her throat.

I always am sad when an animal dies, but I feel even worse because this was completely my fault. They didn't need the stuffed moose and I should have checked the moose more carefully. I thought I'd picked a "safe" stuffed animal.

So anyway my word of warning is be extra careful with the cute stuffed animals in the brooder.

Keltara

Songster
8 Years
Apr 14, 2011
Small Town U.S.A., Michigan
My Coop
My Coop
Awwww...I'm soooo sorry for your loss.
cry-blow.gif

BunnyMomma

Songster
9 Years
Sep 17, 2010
Olin, North Carolina
Thanks for sharing your story and experience with all of us. I'm sorry that you lost your little one. I raise hundreds of chicks every year and I am always sad when I loose even one. I know I have seen a lot of people putting stuffed animals int their brooders and I'm sure that this is a good warning about checking things out more carefully. Still don't be too hard on yourself, you did not mean any harm.
hugs.gif

pogmobum

Songster
7 Years
Mar 28, 2013
Ireland
Thanks for sharing your story and experience with all of us. I'm sorry that you lost your little one. I raise hundreds of chicks every year and I am always sad when I loose even one. I know I have seen a lot of people putting stuffed animals int their brooders and I'm sure that this is a good warning about checking things out more carefully. Still don't be too hard on yourself, you did not mean any harm. :hugs

X2 :)

Rosie42892

Chirping
6 Years
Mar 29, 2013
So sorry for your loss! I never would have thought that it would have caused such a problem. Enjoy the two babies you still have!

Top Bottom