1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sadder than Sad...Ode to Otis.

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by orchidchick, Apr 29, 2009.

1. orchidchick

orchidchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2008
    south florida
    My first rooster, a barred rock I picked up as a "mistake" as part of 4 pullets that I purchased in early December. I have three hens previously almost a year old, and I knew I would have to put one down shortly due to recurring crop problems.

Here is Otis' last day Sunday,with his girls. I found him passed on Tuesday Morning.

[​IMG]

Heading out!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

Watch out for Danger!!!

[​IMG][​IMG]

He also made sure all the younger girls were laying before he left.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I will miss him terribly! I want to thank all you guys who had good things to say about keeping roos that helped me decide to keep him as the experience was priceless. He was a great one, although a little loud!

Orchidchick

[​IMG]

Bubba helping!

2. allaboutdemchicks

allaboutdemchicks Chapel Farms

Sep 13, 2008
    Jemison, AL
    He was something to be proud of. Beautiful, with a personality that shines through even in pictures!

Thank you for sharing. I am so, so sorry for your loss.

3. orchidchick

Mar 23, 2008
    south florida
    Thank you...

I have no idea. He was on the floor in the corner of the coop with eyes closed and feet tucked under him as if he just layed down and went to sleep. I knew something was up when there was no morning crowing. The only thing I did notice was that he did seem a little quieter, but he had been getting a little quieter since he'd only discovered his "voice" in the last few weeks.

Orchidchick

4. chicklady63

chicklady63 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2009
    Yes, that absence of early morning crowing is always a bad sign...I'm sorry for your loss. He was really young and such a pretty boy. I've found though that sometimes birds die for what seems no reason that is obvious beforehand. Could he have possibly gotten a plant that was toxic? But then, it would seem the others would have shared in the feast also if that were the problem. Who knows?
    I have a young Cuckoo Marans rooster that looks almost like him that I would give you if you lived nearby...
    So sorry.

5. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

What a handsome boy he was!! [​IMG] I'm so sorry you lost him [​IMG]

6. orchidchick

Mar 23, 2008
    south florida
    Thank you all. I have been thinking of all the angles as well. This area has a ton a black widows naturally occuring, we find them all the time in the gate latches at the farm I work at. So that is a distinct possibility, as well as the toxic plant scenario. But in the big picture, I guess I just have to accept that no matter what we do to keep them safe and healthy, there is only so much you can do. I truly enjoyed this experience even for the pain it is causing now. Thankfully, the rest of the flock seems healthy and hearty so far.

7. TriciaHowe

TriciaHowe Mother Hen

Nov 11, 2008
    High Springs, FL
    [​IMG]

8. magsrags

magsrags Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    Staten Island NY
    Oh how sad, I am sorry.[​IMG]

9. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger