Saddle Feathers? *pics*

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by chickenlover89, Sep 15, 2012.

1. chickenlover89

chickenlover89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2012
    so I have 5 12wk old chicks, and I was thinking I was seeing saddle feathers on a few, this is my first flock, so i need help! If you see them, or see them growing in, can you please tell me! they were all supposed to be pullets, and I don't want a rooster! thanks!

lavender araucana (tailed)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

blue wheaten ameraucana:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

barred rock:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    All girls!

3. chickenlover89

Jul 26, 2012
    really? thanks! We were almost sure the lavender aruacana was a roo! I have better pics for just the lavender aruacana on my thread: Lavender Araucana, people told me i have a rooster, do i? Thanks for posting!

4. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    a whole body shot including the head would help, some grow saddle feathers in slower and they are at the age of them just coming in so you might not see them on the top of the feathers yet

5. chickenlover89

Jul 26, 2012
    thank you, any guess with the pics I have on here, i will get some pics tomorrow.

6. chickenlover89

Jul 26, 2012
    here are the best "full body" pics I have of the lavender araucana:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

thanks for everyone's help!

7. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    all chickens have saddles and hackles. on a cockerel these will be slender long and pointed while on pullets they are fat and rounded. the formation of cockerel saddle and hackles doesn't start to show until 13-15 weeks of age and by at least 17 weeks you should be able to tell which are pullets and which are cockerels. for the most part the saddles on pullets will look like the rest of the feathers on the body and blend in while on some pullets they are a bit longer such as on my silver laced polish pullet.

gender wise need a full body shot including combs but right now the self blue not even gonna guess on the wheaten is a pullet and the barred looks like a cockerel based off of the barring it has

Last edited: Sep 15, 2012
  8. BlueCamas

BlueCamas Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2011
    Milwaukie, Oregon
    All pullets, it would be really obvious if they had saddle feathers. This is one of my Bantam Barnevelders cockerels, notice the very thin, pointy, shiny feathers right before his tail? Those are saddle feathers [​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. chickenlover89

Jul 26, 2012
    thank you, I will get full body shots of all of them today if I can.

10. chickenlover89

Jul 26, 2012
    how old is he?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by