Safe dewormer?

chicknmania

Free Ranging
17 Years
Jan 26, 2007
central Ohio
We have Safeguard crumbles as a dewormer for the chickens; actually it is very mild as it is for young birds but we can use it on the older ones, too.
Is it ok for the peas also? We are looking for natural dewormers and read about pumpkin seeds, but are they safe for peas too and how much do you give?

most people, including myself, use Safeguard liquid for all our birds, including peafowl, 3 cc per gallon of water for 3 days
Also Ivermectin is great for them too, but it must be given orally or as a drench as it's not water soluble.
Some of the natural "home remedies" work, but are not nearly as effective and usually only get 1 kind of parasite. Both Safeguard and Ivermectin get a very wide array of intestinal parasites, Ivermectin will also get external parasites

Why do you say Ivermectin is not water soluble. I'm sure I've read on numorous sites to mix 3 to 4 cc's per gallon of drinking water for 2 or 3 days mixed fresh daily. I'd like to know if it works or not. Ivermectin isn't cheap and I don't want to risk my birds health. I've read to switch between Safegard and Ivermectin every 6 months. Please let me know what you think.

A couple sites stating it works in water is below:

www.hopkinslivestock.com/Peafowl%20Medications.htm

http://info.amyspeacockparadise.com/worming html

Quote:
I say it, because it isnt water soluable..LOL

I dont care who says it is, lots of folks do, but the simple fact is, it will simply sink to the bottom of water. It's kind of like saying oil is water soluable.
Reason I tell people this is, yes it is very expensive and to put it in water is just wasting it.
If you dont believe me, do a little test, take a syringe full and soot it in a clear glass of water and watch it.... Stir it etc what ever and watch it, it will clumb right back up and sink.
The chemical make up of it, just doesnt let it disolve. Truthfully, safegard doesnt stay in solution very long either, it will settle to the bottom ove a few hours time.
All are best given individually and orally, that way you know for sure what they got.
They are safe to use and very effective though, and yes it is best to rotate them out. I do both within 10 days or so, treat 3 days with safe gard then give them a dose of Ivermectin in a week-10 days after last safegard dosing

Well, this hard thing for me is catching them to put it down their throat so I guess I need to put it in a snack but that is a chore making sure they each get their dose. I guess I can give a snack one at a time in a pen then release or something like that. I've noticed the safegard settles to the bottom and makes a white film on the pan. What is the best food to get a whole dose in?

I'm so grateful to have found this site and you folks to help me.
smile.png

Quote:
Tell me about it, it's a pain in the rear. To be honest now, I havent thought about the treat idea yet, aint bad! Kind of like a dog and pills in the hotdog trick.
Like you said, now just got to think of something to use in place of the hotdog??

On my big birds, I usually do it at night when they are on the roost, you can usually just walk up and grap them then, but it's still a chore!!

oh, and yep, that white film in the pan is what I was talking about too on the Safegard

Last edited:
What is the dose for:

Safeguard, mixed into a treat, for one adult pea and one young pea? As in, how many drops or ml would you put in a bit of wet dog food given daily for 3 days in a row for different-sized birds?

And Ivermectin?

this may be a faulty memory but I think I read on here to put .25 cc on the back of their necks as you would frontline. That's what I did with mine and they were fine. (The Ivermectin)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom