Safe-Guard Wormer for Chickens - Can it be used in their water ?

Windy Bay Farm

Songster
6 Years
Apr 14, 2013
Nova Scotia, Canada
I suspect I have a case of worms to deal with and since I cannot purchase Valbazen in Canada, which from what I have read about Valbazen it seems to treat for most species of worms found in chickens, I am being forced to buy Safe-Guard as an alternative; my question is, can the Safe-Guard be added directly to the water ? If so, at what dosage ? How long do I leave it in the water and how many doses are required ? Also, is there a withdrawal period when it comes to eating their eggs ?

Safeguard should be given orally, but some people do mix the *liquid* in water, but that's the liquid, not the paste. Can you get the liquid in Canada?

-Kathy

If its the liquid, you should probably give it orally, not in the water (though, as Casportpony said, this can be done). If its the paste, its usually also given orally, like in a piece of bread.

Yes, there is a withdrawal period, fourteen days.

Last edited:
If its the liquid, you should probably give it orally, not in the water (though, as Casportpony said, this can be done). If its the paste, its usually also given orally, like in a piece of bread.

Yes, there is a withdrawal period, fourteen days.
No reason not to give the paste the same way as the liquid in a syringe.
big_smile.png
Doing it with a syringe allows for very precise worming, just like the liquid. For me I think getting the proper amount on a piece of bread that they will then eat would be too hard.

FWIW, the vet I work with told me to give 50mg/kg (.5ml per kilogram or .5ml per 2.2 pounds), which means that an average size Rhode Island Red hen (3kg) would get 1.5ml. Repeat in ten days.

1ml of liquid = 1ml of paste, both have 100mg of fenbendazole
1ml of paste weighs 1 gram, trust me, I weighed it!

-Kathy

I dont recommend adding liquid safeguard to water anymore. It doesnt mix well and eventually settles at the bottom of the container...not effective at all.

I dont recommend adding liquid safeguard to water anymore. It doesnt mix well and eventually settles at the bottom of the container...not effective at all.
X2! That and how can you possibly know for sure that they are getting an effective dose even if they do drink it?

-Kathy

Thanks for the info ! The stuff that is available here is in liquid form I do believe so my question is, if it cannot or shouldn't be added to the water, how much should I give per bird ? And do I treat more than once at that same dose ? How long after the first dose ?

Thanks for the info ! The stuff that is available here is in liquid form I do believe so my question is, if it cannot or shouldn't be added to the water, how much should I give per bird ? And do I treat more than once at that same dose ? How long after the first dose ?
I dose based on weight... Chickens, peafowl, turkeys, quail or ducks, young or mature, they get 50mg/kg.

• 100 gram bird - .05ml
  • 250 gram bird - .125ml
  • 500 gram bird - .25ml
  • 1kg bird - .5ml
  • 3kg bird - 1.5ml
  • 4kg bird - 2ml
  • 6kg bird - 3ml
  • 10kg bird - 5ml
  • 15kg bird - 7.5ml

If you don't have a scale and/or don't want to weigh them, just look up their breed and dose based on what it listed for their weight. For example, I know the majority of my adult peahens weigh 3-4kg, so they get 2ml and the male weigh about 6kg, so they get 3ml.

-Kathy

I dose based on weight... Chickens, peafowl, turkeys, quail or ducks, young or mature, they get 50mg/kg.

• 100 gram bird - .05ml
  • 250 gram bird - .125ml
  • 500 gram bird - .25ml
  • 1kg bird - .5ml
  • 3kg bird - 1.5ml
  • 4kg bird - 2ml
  • 6kg bird - 3ml
  • 10kg bird - 5ml
  • 15kg bird - 7.5ml

If you don't have a scale and/or don't want to weigh them, just look up their breed and dose based on what it listed for their weight. For example, I know the majority of my adult peahens weigh 3-4kg, so they get 2ml and the male weigh about 6kg, so they get 3ml.

-Kathy

1 kg equals about 2.25 lbs for us Americans that do not like that European metric system, lol. Good post, Kathy. I recently wormed a bunch of 2-3 lb pullets with Safeguard when I found evidence of cecal worms in a dropping. I used .5 cc/ml orally for each bird, each worming. It worked. Fenbendazole has a fairly wide safety margin.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom