Safe low temperature for hard boiled eggs

I tell you what... my Instant Pot makes them perfect. Never any problems peeling even eggs laid that morning. I never would have believed it, but they are really and truly perfect. Takes about 5 minutes, plus a few minutes for the the pot to pressurize.

But of course, that only works if you have an Instant Pot or a pressure cooker.

Thank you for that great cooking guide! I have waterless cookware. As directed in their cooking guide, I bring my eggs to a rolling boil, put the lid on, turn off the heat and set the timer for 11 minutes. When the timer rings I remove the lid, pour off the boiling water and shock the eggs with cold water and ice. They are actually kept at boiling temp 12 minutes because it takes me that long to run in and turn off the timer. Any longer and the lid seals shut. Ask me how I know, lol! I also use eggs at least 2 or 3 weeks old and find they peel slick as... er... possible. The yolks never come out green, dry, hard or rubbery, but not wet in the center either.
Hmmmmm... Waterless cookware. I'm gonna fire up goggle and do me some interlearnin'.

Early results of 4 egg runs:

2 minutes boiling before letting stand 15 minutes = no appreciable difference in texture. Looks, feels and tastes the same as 1 minute.

3 minutes boiling = slightly firmer yolk but the white is much firmer and seems a very slight bit drier.

4 minutes boiling = decidedly firm throughout, much drier with a slightly darkened outer yolk.

5 minutes boiling = abandon the remaining tests! Dark yolk surround and an egg better suited to street fighting. Or using as roller bearings on a truck axle.

I think we have a weener. 2 minutes produced a slightly hotter egg (of similar size) that is still light, moist and just plain yummers.If anybody drops dead after eating them I will switch to 3 minutes -- after disposing of the bodies of course.

I'll go out on a fairly strong limb here and claim that each extra minute renders ~5 degrees hotter complete egg temp at the end of 15 minutes standing with the heat off. Your results may vary. Batteries not included.

(Sprints down the aisle to accept the oscar for most pedantic egg chef alive) :wee
I couldn't have done it without the help and support of my closest friend and partner, my dog Jed.

Oh, and my little Sea lamprey helped too... She makes sure I clean everything up and always wash my hands after going pee-pee.

Back
Top Bottom