Safe plants for ducks?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Madeleinepb, Jun 14, 2019.

1. DuckyDonna

DuckyDonna Free Ranging

Aug 26, 2018
    Dallas, Georgia
    I had some old fencing left over so I made a circle with it and zip tied it. Zip ties are my best friends! Then I took some of that black stuff that you lay down in the garden to stop weeds and put it around the outside becuase they say it's bad if the potatoes get hit with sun light. Put some dirt inside it so that it's about 2' deep.

I only put in 6 slips and they end up climbing up and over the enclosure and flowing onto the yard so it looks like a huge mound.

There are always bugs all over the leaves and the ducks just love that and they'll eat the leaves too. They have flowers that look similar to morning glory which are pretty. Sometimes I pick some leaves, tear them up and float them in the pool. gives them something to do! IMG_6848.JPG

Miss Lydia likes this.
  2. katiebrock

katiebrock Songster

Apr 7, 2019
    Milledgeville, Georgia
  3. Madeleinepb

Madeleinepb Chirping

Oct 23, 2016
    Poulsbo, WA
    Thanks for all the ideas everyone. Me and my mom are gonna grape vines and few other plants. I also decided for the ground inside their Habitat we are gonna grow Irish moss and clovers so it’s soft on their feet. I also put up hanging lights and a bird feeder over the grass area. When everything starts growing, I will have post pics for everyone to see. I can’t wait til we start planting more plants in and around their habitat. I pretty much want this to be a duck oasis. We also are putting a small pond in there too. I can’t wait. O yea they also have a mirror in there too, so they can check emselves out.

DuckyDonna likes this.
  4. DuckyDonna

DuckyDonna Free Ranging

Aug 26, 2018
    Dallas, Georgia
    What is that?

5. llombardo

llombardo Crowing

Mar 11, 2018
    Illinois
    Nothing green will last in the run area. They will drill holes and trample it. That is my experience. Ducks don't do pretty, muddy yes, pretty no.

6. katiebrock

katiebrock Songster

Apr 7, 2019
    Milledgeville, Georgia
    I thought it was sweet potato vine, but I may be mixed up!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: