Safe to use oil filled radiator? Also ?'s on dehumidifier

Danny188

Songster
Jul 22, 2019
Iowa
Im thing about using an oil filled radiator in the chicken coop this winter its my first winter with chickens and I want them to lay throughout the winter without eggs freezing and if i dont need a water heater that would be good too. So is a oil filled radiator safer than a heat lamp? And im thinking about using a dehumidifier to get moisture out of the coop becuse it doesn't have very good ventilation.

Hmmmm. We have one of those we use as a space heater. It's regulated by a thermostat. I might be wrong, but I think that when it's running it gets pretty warm, even hot to the touch. So I'd worry about it being a fire hazard depending on what you have in the bottom of your coop or hen house. Truthfully, you're better off arranging for ventilation so the coop stays dry. Their feathers keep them warm. Moisture will lead to frostbite on their combs and wattles. How cold does it get?

Keeping them warm is not what keeps them laying eggs. Light does that. I recommend getting a heating plate for warmth. Last year I had one of the heat lamp bulbs break and glass was everywhere. Luckily no one was hurt, but they could have been. I'm surprised a chicken didn't start eating the shiny red glass. Probably didn't because it happened at night and I caught it and cleaned it up in the morning. I'm also very thankful that it didn't start a fire. Yikes. As for freezing eggs, collect them first thing in the morning and a couple times a day if possible.

Hmmmm. We have one of those we use as a space heater. It's regulated by a thermostat. I might be wrong, but I think that when it's running it gets pretty warm, even hot to the touch. So I'd worry about it being a fire hazard depending on what you have in the bottom of your coop or hen house. Truthfully, you're better off arranging for ventilation so the coop stays dry. Their feathers keep them warm. Moisture will lead to frostbite on their combs and wattles. How cold does it get?

I agree. It is better to correct the ventilation issue.

With a dry coop and good ventilation mine go through negative temps just fine. No frostbite or other issues.

I have lost count of the number of years I have kept birds. :hmm

Suffice it to say it has been many many many years keeping them through very cold winters.

Im thinking im going to have to explane the ventilation problem to my dad and then im going to have to make the nest boxes winter proof so eggs dont freeze. thanks!

Wow, it must get really cold if the eggs might freeze before you can gather them every day! :eek: Brrr!
As for keeping the water from freezing, do you have electricity out there? We got a heated bucket that works real slick. Got it from the local feed store.

Wow, it must get really cold if the eggs might freeze before you can gather them every day! :eek: Brrr!
As for keeping the water from freezing, do you have electricity out there? We got a heated bucket that works real slick. Got it from the local feed store.
Yea I live in iowa we do have electricity jn the barn what is the heated bucket? Im not going to use the oil filled radiator because of the size and it being unsafe for the chickens.

Back
Top Bottom