Safeguard and Feather Damage While Molting

KsKingBee

Free Ranging
10 Years
Sep 29, 2013
The Scenic Flint Hills of Kansas
I have been doing some searches for information on how much liquid Safeguard to give orally and came across a post warning not to use it during molt because it will mess up the feather growth. My question is and I am assuming that it will do the same with train feathers growing back in?

Also if anyone knows, how much liquid Safeguard, if I do use it, would I put in their mash per bird? I have hard water issues and have been recommended by my vet to put all meds in their food instead of the water.

I have never had any feather issues but with all meds sometimes things have a reaction or adverse effect, with all this rain i have been worming mine every other month and all feathers look great, even got small trains growing on a few of last years hatch that did not sell.

I think not worming them would have more of a damaging effect that worming
wink.png

Last edited:
I worm in water so have no idea about putting meds in feed. Why would hard water make a difference? We have it here and in 8 years of worming I've never had a problem. Your question about worming during molting is interesting. You might post the question direct to "Resolution" that is active at posting on backyardchickens. If you get an answer could you please share it. Back to worming.....I do pour the water with wormer in it back and forth from their water bucket to another bucket to keep it mixed well at least a couple times a day.

I don't think Resolution has posted on this forum in a couple years, can't find any of his post by his name so it has been a while sence he has logged in
wink.png

I worm many of mine during the different stages of molt and haven't seen any adverse effects from doing it.

-Kathy

SafeGuard or fenbendazole is known to cause feather problems when used during a molt. SafeGuard Liquid Goat wormer and equine paste, and Panacur equine paste dosage is 1/2 ml orally per bird, and it is to be given directly into the beak and swallowed. The dose is repeated in 10 days. It can also be given on a small piece of bread. It does not mix well with water or food, and is not meant to be used that way. Valbazen is another good wormer and dosage is 1/2 ml orally, and repeated in 10 days. It can be used during a molt.

I have never had any feather issues but with all meds sometimes things have a reaction or adverse effect, with all this rain i have been worming mine every other month and all feathers look great, even got small trains growing on a few of last years hatch that did not sell.

I think not worming them would have more of a damaging effect that worming ;)  

Exactly, who cares if live bird has to live with funny looking feathers?

-Kathy

PS On the iPad due to my computer problems, so can't post any of my worming links and pictures. :(

The Safeguard or Panacur (both are 10% fenbendazole) dose I use to treat my peafowl for cecal and roundworms *only* is 50mg/kg (0.5ml per 2.2 pounds). Based on that, my peafowl get:

Large adult male - 3ml
Large adult female - 2ml
Small adult male - 2ml
Small adult female - 1.5ml
Large 3 month old chick - 1ml
Medium 3 month old chick - 0.8ml
Small 3 month old chick - 0.7
Above doses are for liquid *or* paste.

For capillary and gapeworms, worm for 5 days in a row.

According to a study I read and the recommendation of a vet, the most effective Valbazen dose is 20mg/kg (0.176ml per 2.2 pounds). Based on that, the Valbazen dose for peafowl would be:
Large adult male - 1.05ml
Large adult female - 0.7ml
Small adult male - 0.7ml
Small adult female - 0.53ml
Large 3 month old chick - 0.35ml
Medium 3 month old chick - 0.28ml
Small 3 month old chick - 0.25ml

Valbazen is 11.36% albendazole (113.6mg/ml)

Note that I did not include amounts for chicks under 3 months, but that's not because they cannot or should not be wormed, it's because I need to look up their weights on my computer.
big_smile.png

I prefer to work all of mine orally, but I can understand why some people don't want to, and I guess if I had to choose between food or water or food, I'd choose food. To do that I would guess the weight of my flock in pounds or kg and do a little math. I would then most likely put the amount of Safeguard or Valbazen needed in some water, mix well and then I'd use that water to make a mash. I think Zazouse puts her wormer in eggs?

Hope this helps,
Kathy

Edited to add:
Safeguard or Valbazen, dose once, then ten days later.

Edited again to say that one must worm for 5 days in a row to treat capillary worms and gapeworms.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom