Safeguard and Feather Damage While Molting

AugeredIn, I appreciate what you say in your post but I don't understand the last sentence. If oral dosing is the best way to administer medications why can't we all do it? I find it very easy to mix the meds into the feed.
It is a matter of numbers. If I only had maybe 20 birds or less and fed every day it would be fine.

We will worm and treat every bird less than one year old for coccidiosis in the next couple of weeks. I would have to catch about 200 birds to orally treat every one of them. Not practical no matter how dedicated I am. We do catch every bird at least one time each year but I cannot catch them all three or four times a year. Additionally, we have only lost a couple of birds in 6 years to overhead injuries. BOTH deaths came during catching operations. The last one was last year during a joint worming/NPIP inspection. A spaulding opal cock that took about 9 years to develop spooked in the 2x4 rafters on 12 foot centers. He was dead when he hit the ground.

With regards to feed, we do not feed every day. We use 30 lb hanging feeders. Mixing with feed is not really practical either.

Mixing with small quantities of water does work at the correct dosage levels. As discussed herein, 3mg/g is not the appropriate dosage.

We very rarely lose adult birds or even have them fall ill. If there is any hint that they might have an issue they are immediately wormed and treated for blackhead orally. I highly suspect that with a well maintained (correctly fed & watered and cleanly penned and sheltered) facility, there is no need to treat the way that we do.

Like because they would have to catch and treat well over 100 of them
smile.png
? The Safeguard in the liter size is actually a deal compared to the 125 ml prices. When you start buying layer pellets by the ton, cat food in 200 lb increments and shredded greens by the 10 bag box whats $120.00 for wormer?

Speaking of cat food, recently I have been giving the peas 9Lives cat food. The peas love the salmon and egg one and gobble it up really fast. I am hoping it will give my peas 9 lives haha.

I have some interesting poo pictures requested by Kathy. Unfortunately for me I pinched my power cable in the recliner last night while uploading and am now without a computer. Being relegated to dw ipad I will have to wait until I get a new cable to post. I hate hunt and peck typing ...

I have some interesting poo pictures requested by Kathy. Unfortunately for me I pinched my power cable in the recliner last night while uploading and am now without a computer. Being relegated to dw ipad I will have to wait until I get a new cable to post. I hate hunt and peck typing ...

Darn you, lol. I'm also still on the stupid iPad, so I know how you feel.

-Kathy

Aww that sucks, i tried using my DH iphone, i am not good at pecking and scrolling for what seems forever to get to what i want to read and the darn thing was slower than the old timey dial up i use to have,
hugs.gif

Hmmm, not sure where you are going with the land thing but here are the answers. First the chick was about three months old, its two siblings look fine. I have 160 acres. The runoff near where the birds range is only from about 500 yards to the top of the hill in my pasture. No one else has any run off onto my property except the spring fed creek. There has not been any fowl raised here for at least sixty years until last year. Flood water does not back up onto the ranging area the birds frequent.

We have treated some of the pens with lye, washed it into the soil, and covered with fresh sand. The coops we clean out and shake with lime and cover with fresh pine shavings. The ranging areas are not possible to disk and lime, although I did one field a few years ago when preparing it for planting clover.

Thanks for the condolences. Hopefully someone will learn from my misfortune.
We need to learn the source of these overloads, worms surley do not survive forever without a host so how are/did the eggs getting in your area, see if ya had a bunch animals that passed these eggs off in your soil i could understand but you just have peas right and you stated no other domestic birds for years , so the question that needs answering is why are there so many worms to begin.
Hope that makes sence

Back
Top Bottom