Safeguard and Feather Damage While Molting

There is a reference in Plumb's Veterinary Drug Handbook that says not to use it during molt or breeding season, but it doesn't go into detail. Another vet book says using it during molt can cause feather damage.

-Kathy

Sounds like more of a CYA statement to me.

Probably.

-Kathy

Young man, we can't tell you, and if we could, it would get covered up with asterisks by the text editor :-D
But what he means is they made the statement to protect themselves from lawsuits...

People get agitated when (1) they don't understand how a process works, (2) they don't like the answer, and of course, (3) when they feel nervous, insecure or out of control. Since hardly anyone can understand, much less control the US Postal Service, there's lots of opportunity for people to go "postal." (Which if you recall, was a term coined after more than one employee embarked on homicidal violence, ostensibly due to the stress of working there, but undoubtedly also related to inadequately-treated underlying mental health issues.)

This person probably was reacting in a not untypical way -- she didn't like the answer, couldn't or didn't want to understand, and just kept repeating her want/desire/previous position .. and was not in a frame of mind to cognitively process what she was being told. Her brain (or what passed for one) had checked out of the process. That's how an unfortunate number of people deal with cognitive dissonance (the answer doesn't agree with their previous notion) or frustration (they can't argue someone into their own position). If you happen to have any youngish cousins or siblings (say in the 2 - 3 year old range), that negotiation strategy is often their main method of dealing with lack of satisfaction with their available options. When the bullheaded stubborness (frustration) fails, they move on to tactic/strategy #2: meltdown.

Unfortunately, some of us never progress beyond those two tactics, and even for those who do, at times, frustration gets the better of us.

Hmmm, you are going to be dealing with lots of stressed out people in your future career. Maybe pick up a good book on behavior mod and start studying people's responses. Karen Pryor had a good book "Don't shoot the dog" but I seem to recall later editions took out some of the good stuff... Fixing sick animals will probably be significantly easier than dealing with whacked-out clients. Stress over sick or injured animals combined with vet fee sticker shock/inability to pay issues make irrational meltdowns in the waiting room an all too-frequent occurrence...

Who knew they could just put out some watermelon and the peas would dye themselves?
lau.gif
When it comes to being out of controlled that's what stresses me out at first but then have to remember, can't control everything. Just have to learn how change with everything around me. My problem is I can be really stubborn. Then I remember when arguing with an idiot it makes me an idiot and so I just give up on them. That's the one problem with being a vet is I have to be able to deal with people's stress when seriously injured or sick animals or when euthanizing animals. The one part that I'm most worried about is if I get an animal that was abused brought in. That's what gets me angry the most.

Yeah, I guess I've heard all of those, but the one that bugs me the most is "just give your bird a pea sized amount". Who started that one?

-Kathy
th.gif
Maybe it's because that's the size of the person's brain maybe? Sorry I couldn't resist.

Just to save me from having to re-read all this info, and because of my CRS, could someone tell me if there is any proof of Safeguard causing infertility for any amount of time after dosing? @casportpony or @Garden Peas ?
I think the infertility and feather damage is just a possible side effect. Like most medicines, they list all these side effects yet they almost never happen. Just something that has happened or could happen but rare. Now that I just figured out what the CYA stands for that's probably what the feather damage and infertility is.

Last edited:
@casportpony is always full of good advice
bow.gif

I may be an old fogey
old.gif
but I am thrilled with technological developments of googling for information, google maps, google translate and youtube for videos on how to fix stuff. I already knew how to fix a lot of things, but you can have a totally obscure part fail on your totally out of date vehicle, and someone (or two or three) will have made a youtube video on how to disassemble it and make the repair. And wikipedia, I love wikipedia
love.gif
My kids are into different kinds of online games, but I don't have the attention span for that
lau.gif

Last edited:
When it comes to being out of controlled that's what stresses me out at first but then have to remember, can't control everything. Just have to learn how change with everything around me. My problem is I can be really stubborn. Then I remember when arguing with an idiot it makes me an idiot and so I just give up on them. That's the one problem with being a vet is I have to be able to deal with people's stress when seriously injured or sick animals or when euthanizing animals. The one part that I'm most worried about is if I get an animal that was abused brought in. That's what gets me angry the most.

Having a good office staff helps many vets deal with upset clients. Dealing with abused animals (or children) is emotionally taxing. Another difficult one is when someone deliberately chooses to keep a vicious animal (one form of animal abuse is deliberately creating a vicious animal) and then that animal seriously injures someone or another animal. Vets sometimes end up involved in those cases too.

The good news is that you can pick up the phone and report that stuff, which is one way of dealing with it appropriately.

Nice job on the metacognition, btw
clap.gif

Back
Top Bottom