Safeguard horse dewormer dosages

Safeguard (Fenbendazole) dose is 0.23ml per pound of weight given orally once, then repeated in 10 days to treat Roundworms only.
If you are wanting to treat of other types of worms including Roundworms, but not Tapeworms, give for 5 days in a row, no repeat.

Safeguard (Fenbendazole) dose is 0.23ml per pound of weight given orally once, then repeated in 10 days to treat Roundworms only.
If you are wanting to treat of other types of worms including Roundworms, but not Tapeworms, give for 5 days in a row, no repeat.
Thanks Wyorp, what if you don’t know what kind of worms you’re treating? 5 days and no repeat?

Thanks Wyorp, what if you don’t know what kind of worms you’re treating? 5 days and no repeat?
Do you treat your whole flock or just the chickens that show symptoms? We only have 5 chickens and 4 seem very fine and one is doing poorly.

Do you treat your whole flock or just the chickens that show symptoms? We only have 5 chickens and 4 seem very fine and one is doing poorly.
Are you seeing worms in the poop?
If one is poorly and you think worms are the problem, then deworm her.
I would normally just treat all myself though.
5 day treatment of Safeguard is going to treat for more "types" of worms, but not Tapeworms.

If one is poorly and you think worms are the problem, then deworm her.
I would normally just treat all myself though.
Our older hen is doing so much better. we treated her for 3 days and treated the younger ones for one day. We‘ll do them all one more time in 10 days.
I know this isn’t the exact treatment protocol but it’s what we are going to do as of now. thanks for your assistance

5 day treatment of Safeguard is going to treat for more "types" of worms, but not Tapeworms.
Hi! I know this thread is a few months old, but I was wondering what you suggest for tapeworm, then? I know my flock has them as I just saw them in their stools today. I have a small flock of just 4 hens. I’m trying to figure out the best course of action, but getting a lot of conflicting information. I was leaning toward SafeGuard since it seems to be the most popular, but then your comment gave me pause.

Hi! I know this thread is a few months old, but I was wondering what you suggest for tapeworm, then? I know my flock has them as I just saw them in their stools today. I have a small flock of just 4 hens. I’m trying to figure out the best course of action, but getting a lot of conflicting information. I was leaning toward SafeGuard since it seems to be the most popular, but then your comment gave me pause.
Welcome To BYC

For Tapeworm, you will want to use Praziquantel. Equimax horse paste is probably the easiest to find (at stores like TSC) but there's a list of products you can use along with dosing in the first post of this link. https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/treating-tapeworms-under-construction.1220309/

Back
Top Bottom