Safety issue

coldinnh

Songster
10 Years
May 13, 2010
NH
almost burned down my coop/brooder- I had the heat lamp clamped to a wall and it fell.... burned a hole clear through the wood - is there some other safer way to get heat to my girls?
ep.gif

Oh my goodness, I am so sorry that happened, although, I am so happy you caught it in time!
We have our lamp suspended from the ceiling by a hook, and numerous fail-safes along it's length to prevent slippage.
That is so scary! Glad things turned out all right!

Bright Blessings

I wonder if anyone who has used one of those clamp lamps hasn't had something like this happen. Those things are just poorly designed, in my opinion. You have to have a second way of securing them because those darn clamps slip so easily.

Thanks for the concern. Well I will have to think about engineering something before too long. Luckily the girls are feathering out and can go without the lamp. But OMG- yes poorly designed in one way of putting what I thought about the lamp.
barnie.gif

We decided to avoid the potential problems with those clamp lights (have had them pop off things previously, tho not with a heat lamp installed), and wired in a ceramic base fixture in the coop. It's not the most attractive thing, but then neither is a clamp light!

I swap the brooder lamp clamp with the clamp from an automotive clamp light at wal-mart. It is so much stronger!! Then I chain it from the ceiling as well, just in case something goes wrong. You can never be too safe!

Great job being so quick to realize the lamp had slipped! Hang in there
smile.png

Phew glad you found it!
I rarely use the clamp without wiring it too just as a back up, it was always on the verge of falling when I was in the coop so I wasn't going to risk it.

Back
Top Bottom