Safety Issues with Homemade bators

gabrielle1976

Crowing
10 Years
Feb 21, 2009
Columbia river gorge
I have been looking at all these and wanted to make my own.
wee.gif

Then my sister had to burst my bubble she is shure that not only is wireing youre own light and thermostat a huge fire hazard , she thinks the straphome would melt or catch on fire as well and that there is a risk of electracution with the wireing and thermostate screws as well.
he.gif
:barnie
So we went to home depote to look at stuff and even two of the workers there after I told them what items i was looking for and what i wanted them for were talking about fire and electrcution issues .
So what gives honsetly how many of you have used these things and for how long and have you ever had any issues with them?
I want strait answers regardless of weather I will like them or not and yorue welcome to PM me if you dont want to post for the world to see.
THank you
thumbsup.gif

There is always a risk with wiring your own stuff, but if you do it properly you will be fine (i.e. connect the right wires, use wire nuts, make sure all connections are tight).

If the styrofoam was such a safety issue then incubator manufacturers would not use them. Most of the small manufactored incubators are made out of styro.

ETA: You have to keep in mind that the styrofoam used in incubators (and the coolers people use to make incubators) is high density ... it is not the same as packing styrofoam or those silly, annoying "peanuts." That type of styrofoam may not hold up to the heat. Also, the heating element does not touch the styrofoam ... if it does, you have done it wrong.

Last edited:
i don't have a homemade bator, but i have wired other things. if you follow directions and take your time, you should be just fine.

this is basic electric connections, nothing outrageous or overly dangerous.

as with any electrical project, ask for help if you need it. you might be able to take it to your local Home Depot you spoke of, and ask some of the employees for direction with wiring. many of the employees at HD are retired builders, electricians, painters etc.

Some people are just paranoid,follow the directions and use common sense and you should be just fine.im almost done with my home made one and the light in it hasent melted anything....im making the miss prissy one....

Yes I called befor I went and the man I spoke to said he could do the actuall wireing for me , He isnt an electirtion but he builds his own computers and stuff so I am assumeing that that envolves wires and stuff as well. He said he had things called resesters or something I could use as a heat source instead ofa light if I thought that would work .. I dont even know what those are or if i could use one as a heat source. But once I got there he wasnt there it was other people and they didnt think it was a good idea or how to do the wireing so eh.
My sister made me feel kinda guilty cause I have a 3 year old and she is pushing the whole safety thing , So youre guys and gals advice when you have actually done this stuff is much apprecatied.. <and nope I cant spell worth beans lol>
lau.gif

Well, I'm not worried at all. My 8 & 12 year-olds are helping to turn the eggs when I am not there. I showed them where to not touch (light bulb = hot!) I showed them about the electrical (my daughter actually connected the thermostat) and they are doing great.

I think it would take a lot more than my 40 watt bulb to melt my incubator.

Bil

First, we have lost a house to fire. Needless to say I am paranoid about candles, appliances and other electronics being plugged in while on vacation. I am super mean to our reptiles and even unplug their lights when I know I will be gone for the day. We have two of these homemade incubators running in our home with our four children. You are heating to body temp 98-102. My 4 year old is running a temp today and is hotter than the eggs in the bator…she is not a fire hazarded LOL! My husband worked custom new construction plumbing and electrical work while in college. We have bought our thermostats at Home Depot, if wired correctly the hazard is no greater than a lamp on your desk. We cover the screws on the thermostat with electrical tape to prevent any electrocution hazard. Keep in mind, Home Depot employees are sometimes not as informed in their jobs as well as we, the public, and they like to believe. I can’t count the times we have been given misinformation from a store where we even know the employees.

Bottom line; if you are not comfortable and fear a risk your are best to buy a bator. There is nothing in this world that beats peace of mind.
smile.png

I get the impression that you indeed would probably burn down the house....can you IMAGINE!!!??? that made me laugh, sorry
smile.png
I would be so ashamed if I learned that my home made incubator blew the house up!

buy one if it malfunctions you can always sue the company (and eat the fried eggs in your bator) mmmm burnt n crispy
smile.png

Should I be Insulted
ep.gif

No JK anyways , I am shall we say challenged about following derections, serously its not fun if I am shown how to do something and get a chance to do it I am grate but reading instuctions jsut dosnt compute well with me. Maybe my sister should be concerned eh.
gig.gif

I was looking at the instuctions for them and adding up the stuff and becuase I have non of this stuff laying around and I would actually have to go out of town for the humidity gauge I think as i cant find anything but a non digital one at petco it would cost me about 40.00 to make one.. for 17.00 more dollers I can buy a still air incubator at my local feed store or on line. And not blow up my house
hide.gif

but the thought of makeing one seems so cool you know .. eh anyways thanks everyone
sorry Im so wierd
duc.gif

Back
Top Bottom