Safety of buried eggs?

Pics
I have done three things with eggs that I do not want to eat:
mix raw into my chickens fermented feed
feed raw to my dog
throw into the woods

Never would of thought of feeding it raw back to the chickens, good idea. Although I don’t do fermented feed.

Have fed raw eggs to dogs before though but I don’t have a dog atm :hit

And yeah I ended up throwing it in the woods.

What bread of chicken lays the color egg on the right in the cover pic? I want some that lay that color egg.

I'm not sure who's picture that is but I would guess a French Black Copper Marans.

X2. Not my pic but it looks like a Marans egg. The other eggs are gorgeous too.

Also I didn’t even notice the feature till now!! Thanks Sumi!! Feel kinda bad I got a bit off topic now though LOL but back to eggs and egg safety!! :p

Never would of thought of feeding it raw back to the chickens, good idea. Although I don’t do fermented feed.

Have fed raw eggs to dogs before though but I don’t have a dog atm :hit

And yeah I ended up throwing it in the woods.

:p

I would not feed raw to chickens except in a fermented feed "slop", the odor and flavor needs to be changed to prevent egg eating chickens

I almost feel like having less shavings in the box has made the eggs cleaner? Is that even possible? Lol today’s eggs seem exceptionally clean haha maybe that’s because the coop is cleaner too though since they spread the clean nest box shavings all around. I just kind of pushed them out and had a pile in from of the boxes and they spread them flat and spread them all around ha the boxes are on the front half of the coop near the pop door which also happens to be the busiest/dirtiest part of the coop so sometimes they track mud in ha so I have a feeling it’s probably the cleanish shavings spread all around the coop rather than just having less shavings in the box but still. Maybe it’s a combination haha also it’s definitely a lot easier to sift through for buried eggs with less shavings in there :lau

I almost feel like having less shavings in the box has made the eggs cleaner? Is that even possible? Lol today’s eggs seem exceptionally clean haha maybe that’s because the coop is cleaner too though since they spread the clean nest box shavings all around. I just kind of pushed them out and had a pile in from of the boxes and they spread them flat and spread them all around ha the boxes are on the front half of the coop near the pop door which also happens to be the busiest/dirtiest part of the coop so sometimes they track mud in ha so I have a feeling it’s probably the cleanish shavings spread all around the coop rather than just having less shavings in the box but still. Maybe it’s a combination haha also it’s definitely a lot easier to sift through for buried eggs with less shavings in there :lau

Im sure the top being removed did help and as i went n did my 4th egg hunt i realized i should recomend one of my tools to you. I use a kitty poop scoop to shovel around the shavings in my nest boxes, might be helpful for you :)

Also congrats on becoming a featured thread :D

Im sure the top being removed did help and as i went n did my 4th egg hunt i realized i should recomend one of my tools to you. I use a kitty poop scoop to shovel around the shavings in my nest boxes, might be helpful for you :)

Also congrats on becoming a featured thread :D

That makes sense! Maybe cleaner shavings were exposed ha and ooohhh that’s a great idea!! Much easier and faster than using my hand LOL may have to try that!! Thanks for the tip!!

And thank you!! :D

I have hay in the nest boxes. The hens (maybe the roo helps?) make it into a real nest and that way they have ample padding below (maybe 2 inches if compacted hay) but no eggs get lost. Hay works really well for us.

That sounds like a great idea!! Thank you!! I may have to try this. Plus I like it because it seems like it would make a distinct and separate laying area from the rest of the coop because sometimes they lay in the corner or random other places which I’d also like to discourage. They don’t always do it but sometimes.

Back
Top Bottom