Sail with quail?

AQuailTale

In the Brooder
Nov 23, 2020
Oregon
So, I cant find anything online about this.

Sometimes I'll be at sea for 45 days, a couple months, and hopefully more in the future. I have solid experience with quail in a natural environment, and also in comfortable cages. Could I take three laying hens w me? Id could definitely secure them (there are a cpl different options) but would they actually lay out there? Im concerned about the waves. It would be more than great if I could figure out how to add quail eggs to my food supply.

Also, I live on my boat (California based) so theyll be with me and not just a temporary fix for each expedition.

Attachments

• 20210917_222729.jpg
    20210917_222729.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 61
So, I cant find anything online about this.

Sometimes I'll be at sea for 45 days, a couple months, and hopefully more in the future. I have solid experience with quail in a natural environment, and also in comfortable cages. Could I take three laying hens w me? Id could definitely secure them (there are a cpl different options) but would they actually lay out there? Im concerned about the waves. It would be more than great if I could figure out how to add quail eggs to my food supply.

Also, I live on my boat (California based) so theyll be with me and not just a temporary fix for each expedition.
No experience with birds in the water. However, have you thought about the space and weight?

The birds need space and fresh air and sunshine. Inside the cabin in a window or outside. Ideally a movable cage you could easily bring inside during rough weather and keep outside most of the time.

As for weight, this is often a concern on boats as well. Quail are light, but you'll need extra bedding and feed on hand. A 50lb bag if feed will go a very long way for 3 quail, so you could probably take less of you have a land-based storage to leave the excess behind. The bedding is not as heavy and readily available in smaller packages

No experience with birds in the water. However, have you thought about the space and weight?

The birds need space and fresh air and sunshine. Inside the cabin in a window or outside. Ideally a movable cage you could easily bring inside during rough weather and keep outside most of the time.

As for weight, this is often a concern on boats as well. Quail are light, but you'll need extra bedding and feed on hand. A 50lb bag if feed will go a very long way for 3 quail, so you could probably take less of you have a land-based storage to leave the excess behind. The bedding is not as heavy and readily available in smaller packages
Yes definitely considered and keep calculations of weights and distribution. Figured since you can successfully grow fruits and veggies at sail, then quail might also work

Very interesting concept 🤔 @Nabiki has a good point that your best bet would probably be really young quail so that they acclimatise quickly. How frequently would you stop off for supplies?
Sometimes could be two months at sea without stopping due to crossing the ocean. Other long trips (like going down the coast of central america and south) Id be closer to resources so i could pack lighter for them.

I would think that they'd be stressed too much to lay, but if you started with very young birds and they spent their entire lives on the boat?

Try it and see! Let us know how it goes. It would make a great article.
Yes I was going to do a "study" on it but wanted to reaxh out first as to not just immediately kill three quail or something 😅 Was thinking youngins would be the way to go and just take them on some smaller trips so they can get acclimated while growing to laying age

Back
Top Bottom