Saint Pigeons

Discussion in 'Pigeons and Doves' started by mochicken, Oct 30, 2011.

1. mochicken

mochicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    NW Missouri
    Does anyone keep them? I have 2 that appear to be saints and I am trying to learn more about them

2. rittert3

rittert3 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Ks (Manhattan area)
    [​IMG]

3. rittert3

rittert3 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Ks (Manhattan area)
    What I alway thought were saints ,turns out, are Russian Tumblers. When I first saw them they were miss labeled as saints, I have no knowledge of actual saints but they seem to look similar to capuchines.

4. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    yes ,but smaller crest..plus they have white heads , and the marking as a saint...other breeds even have a color called saint markings.

5. deerman

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Monks .........check them out.

6. Mary Of Exeter

Mary Of Exeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Rowan County, NC
    Monks and Saints are not the same thing. Quite a few breeds are monk marked, such as the Mookee. Most Saints I have seen are white, which was the original color.

The Saint is a fairly new breed created by crossing Schmalkalden Moorheads, Moorhead Tumblers, and Jacobins. It's basically a muffed Capuchine except they aren't baldheaded.

7. deerman

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Quote:good point Becky...i knew they were not Monks........but do look alot like them, like you said Capuchine muffed..

I was thinking they got the bald head and white flights from the Jacobins'

been along time , from last time i saw them.........i may be mistaken about other breeds having saint markings ...it may have been monks

Last edited: Nov 3, 2011
  8. punk-a-doodle

punk-a-doodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Here are some photos of Saints if it helps at all. The last one is either a baldhead or monk-mark. Some seem to say monk/baldhead is the same thing, while others seem to say that white that extends past a certain point is baldhead while a monk-mark is mainly on top of the head. Beats me, as I haven't found a reliable definition or comparison yet.

[​IMG] (most don't seem to have as heavy of feathering, this was a grand champ)

[​IMG]

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=145435 This BYCer owns Saints

[​IMG]

Peguses lofts also carries Saints:
    http://www.pegasusloft.net/id23.htm (more photos on page)

9. deerman

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Quote:yep thats what the old man remember.....can see the Jacobin marking in them

10. mochicken

mochicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    NW Missouri
    I do not have any good pictures of them, I have two of them, you can see them in these pics, sorry these are the best I have until I have a day off work when its actually daylight lol

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 4, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by