Saipan Jungle Fowl Thread

Quote:
Well, I'm not too savvy on species terms, but I know enough to understand the point you're making
wink.png
I suppose I should not have based my own hypothesis of the Saipan upon the breeding and interest of one man. Perhaps if there was more breeders with the same experience, then it would be a plausible belief.

This is somewhat related to the Siapan game issue. One of my past students was born and raised on the Island of Tol, part to the Truk Islands of Micronesia. During one of our many discussions, the subject of game chickens came up. He had been out to my place and saw mine and commented on how different they looked from those he grew up around. He said the games back home were to a large degree free ranging, roosters included, and tended to avoid homesteads (not his words exactly but close enough). We did a search for images on internest and he indicated they looked a lot like the oriental games and generally were in poor feather because of all the fighting. Has anyone looked at birds from that island system to determine whether they are like the alleged "Saipan games" or otherwise unique?

The guy said that because of all the new breeds being introduced to the island the pure strains would be wiped out so if his assumption is correct there wouldnt be any that fit the original description. As for a gi having time to get chickens I definitely buy that, my grandad worked in a pow camp for nazis and he told me storys of how he had time to build a still and make good money over there selling snchapps.
I just got a few "saipan" Im sure there not pure bred but what is, were all constantly evolving.
IMG_0898.jpg

IMG_0900.jpg

sjf3.jpg

sjf2.jpg

sjf1.jpg

IMG_0919.jpg

Quote:
Nice birds! Looks like the stag is BBR and the pullets a dark Wheaten. Not sure though 'cause they're still so young.

My opinion about the Saylor story is varied. I think there might be some truth to it, but I'm not sure. If Saylor collected these chickens near the end of WWII, then I can see the possibility of his story being correct. He would have the time to survey Saipan when not on duty, and there wouldn't be much threat of Japanese invasion after the Americans seized the island. But I doubt that he would've had a lot of time to collect chickens any time before that.

I'm asking about the pictured ones. Thanks for the reply. They do not look like Saipan from 20-40 years ago. They do look like they will be large leggy oriental type birds however. Thanks for posting pics, those birds may not be "Saipan", but they might make good birds for some people depending on what they want. Good luck with them!!

Quote:
I couldnt say for sure or not if the story is true, but if there is no earlier info and it cant be proven wrong it might as well be accepted as the truth. Even in the middle of the war he would have had time there not constantly in battle there is quite a bit of down time and besides not everyone carrys a gun some are mechanics, doctors maybe he worked in communications and sat in a room the whole time, even if he was a grunt he still woulda had time to collect a few chickens. Ive seen alot of stuff people have brought back from ww2 so a chicken wouldnt surprise me. My other gdad was a pilot so I would think he coulda brought back a whole plane fulla chickens
lol.png
But this story does remind me of another one that I know to be fact. A guy I know that fought in vietnam and he actually fought in the jungle with an m16 in his hands, he brought back tarantulas that he found in the jungle presumably while on duty and now the only available spiders of that breed are ancestors of the ones he brought back. To bad it would be hard to find out the truth, anyone know the # to mythbusters.
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom