Salmon faverole gender

squishychicky

Chirping
Oct 23, 2017
Sydney, Australia
I have this little one, three weeks old. I have read they can be sexed early by feather colour, but I'm not sure about this one. If you want to make a guess on the barred rock that would be great too! Thanks!
IMAG1014.jpg
IMAG0991.jpg
IMAG1003.jpg
IMAG1008.jpg

christwodog

Songster
Jan 16, 2017
My guess is she's a she! Looks just like mine when they were that age, and they are hens. I have never had a faverolle roo, so I can't speak from experience about those...

Abriana

Spicy Sugar Cookie
Apr 26, 2017
Midgard
Barred rock is a boy (spot on head, females don’t have it). Brown one in middle of third pic is female, based on feather development. Salmon faverolle is a little too young but I’m gonna make a guess and say female.

christwodog

Songster
Jan 16, 2017
Barred rock is a boy (spot on head, females don’t have it). Brown one in middle of third pic is female, based on feather development. Salmon faverolle is a little too young but I’m gonna make a guess and say female.
Hmm...these are my barred rocks as 3 week olds, now they are 9 month old hens.
They for sure have the light spot on their heads. I have heard that the females will have yellow legs also? Also the faverolles shown all are now 9 month old hens as well.
BABIES.jpg

Alexandra33

Chook Snuggler
5 Years
Apr 3, 2015
Northwest Ohio - The Buckeye State!
For the Faverolles, it's still too early. We can determine gender when, and only when the breast plumage comes in. Black equals cockerel, while light salmon/blonde indicates pullet. :)

As for the Barred Rock (without a view of the comb), coloration so far is quite dark.....which definitely doesn't scream cockerel. Things could still change, however, since only the wings are feathering in.

~Alex

Top Bottom