Salmon Faverolle Behaviour

ChOOkens

►ChOOken In A Box◄
10 Years
Jun 1, 2009
Australia
Hey! Since I might be getting new chickens in a while I was just wondering about ome breeds and I don't know much about Salmon Faverolle behaviours.

I would appreciate it if you could answer some/all of these questions.

Salmon Faverolles'
Are they/Do they:
Calm?
Curious?
Appreciate human contact?
Bully other chickens?
Hostile?
Flighty?
Broody?
Also:
Do they lay good in Winter?
Which seasons do they have trouble with?
Are they okay Free range and confined?
(Don't worry though I let my chickens free range as much as I can!
smile.png
)

Quote:
I love my Salmon Faverolles!!!!!!! Can't say that enough!
They are very timid birds to the point of just laying down most times when being approached. I keep my Faverolles separated from my other birds and flocks because of their timidness. They are curious from a distance. I handle my birds whether they like it or not, so mine are pretty used to human contact. The roo's dislike it the most.
They do not bully other chickens they tend to be the ones bullied and that helped me decide to keep them in their own coop.
They are definately not hostile.
Not flighty.
Can go broody....last year I had 2 of them determined as ever!
They are EXCELLENT winter layers.
I haven't had any troubles with any seasons.
I have to keep my birds in a run because I have a chicken killing dog. They have not had any issues being confined to a run, but, with my dog issue I have spent a small fortune in fencing to protect my flocks and 5 coops to ensure safety and plenty of space for so many birds.
I cannot narrow my favorite birds down to just one favorite, so, I have 5 favorites. Blue and Splash Marans, Welsummers, Blue and Blue Wheaton Ameraucana's, Salmon Faverolles and so help me for admitting this..........Silkies!
Hope this helped answer some of your questions!

I love my S.F.'s but they are just about 2 1/2 mts. old. I started mine (4 hens 1 roo) with my 5 Buff Brahama's and the s.f. roo was very timid and got beat up by the other roo. I split them up as soon as i could get them outside. He immediately started acting like a roo. He keeps his hens in line and herds them inside at the first sign of a predator. Since they are from France he has been dubbed Pierre. Good Luck and i'm sure you will love what every breed you decide on.

O'Yea....Welcome to BYC and chicken addiction.

@Cats Critters: Thanks! That page is handy.
smile.png

@pinkchick: that helped me ALOT. Thank you! Salmon Faverolles sound wonderful.
@RendonRoo: Thank you! That information helped.

I know these are old post. I have a 12 week old hen. She's a bully with the other hens.
I was wondering if any of you have had or have any of these issues with your Salomon Faverolles?

Back
Top Bottom