Salmon Faverolle Boy or Girl?

Hi All:
This 4 month old is from a hatchery so the colors are all wrong. I ordered all pullets but you know how that goes
roll.png
. I know the coloring is more like that of a male, I have two lovely females and they look completely different than this one, however, I am new to this breed.

I don't see the pointed neck hackle or saddle feathers that are typical of males of most breeds. The feathers in those areas are rounded, just like the "girls." This one has the same size comb as the others and its body is even smaller in size than the pullets of the same breed.

Do I have a cockerel or is this a girl with totally messed up colors?

These are the saddle feathers

Does this breed usually start to lay around 6 months, like most breeds?
Thanks for your help,
Posey
Definite pullet. Sadly it's common of what some of the major hatcheries are producing lately. I've seen pictures of even worse colored females.

Egad, YELLOW legs??? Still a pullet though.

Last edited:
Mine are not really so much smaller except it looks like in both sets...from 2 hatcheries...have shorter legs than some of my other breeds. Of course,the others I have at the age of 3 months are Cornish Game.
I believe that to be a pure Faverolles. I believe that it is of poorer color quality than the ones I have. Mine are too young to have adult feathers and I don't know how much lighter they will get. Some of my pullets have some black feathers and some have darker salmon coloring than others but nothing as much as yours has.
Where did yours come from???? Mine are from Cackle, as I ordered those myself, the others came from a feed store near here and theirs came from Ideal...I was there and waitingfor them when th chicks came in!!

Mine are not really so much smaller except it looks like in both sets...from 2 hatcheries...have shorter legs than some of my other breeds. Of course,the others I have at the age of 3 months are Cornish Game.
I believe that to be a pure Faverolles. I believe that it is of poorer color quality than the ones I have. Mine are too young to have adult feathers and I don't know how much lighter they will get. Some of my pullets have some black feathers and some have darker salmon coloring than others but nothing as much as yours has.
Where did yours come from???? Mine are from Cackle, as I ordered those myself, the others came from a feed store near here and theirs came from Ideal...I was there and waitingfor them when th chicks came in!!

These aren't from Cackle that I know of. I have used them in the past and those experiences were great. I was very happy with the chicks that I received. These 3 girls came from My Pet Chicken - not a good experience. I ordered 8 chicks all pullets and I received 3 roos and 5 pullets. One of the chicks was from a breed that I didn't even order. Out of 8 chicks I would expect one roo but not 3! Does anyone know which hatcheries My Pet Chicken uses?

The other two faverolles the the typical coloring but all 3 girls have VERY prominent beards.

Ok...I finally got the pics. I didn't get all of them. As you can see, the pullets from Ideal seem to be lighter overall and more what I would expect. I can't really tell about the roos yet. The chicks from Cackle were delivered to me on the 6th of June. The Ideal chicks were delivered to the feed store a few days before July 15th.
The pictures below were taken yesterday.
Roo from Cackle

Same Roo from Cackle

Roo from Ideal

Pullet from Cackle

Pullet from Cackle

Pullet from Cackle

Pullet from Cackle

Pullet from Cackle

2 pullets from Ideal

We got 6 Salmon Faverolles in our Rare Layer Assortment, 2 I knew were pullets because of their coloring. 4 I suspected were males because of their darker coloring but not one had solid black on their chests or their legs. All ended up pullets and 4/6 are laying. One of them has yellow legs and is smaller than the others but not bantam sized. All 6 run funny, they are hilarious and my husband calls them hobbits.

I was trying to post the pictures of them but they wont load onto my post for some reason... they used to.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/image/id/NaN/width/400/flags/LL One of our girls
https://www.backyardchickens.com/image/id/7547195/width/400/flags/LL Another of our girls
https://www.backyardchickens.com/image/id/NaN/width/400/flags/LL Our little freak with the yellow legs
Younger pic of our little freak sleeping on the log in their run https://www.backyardchickens.com/image/id/7405030/width/400/flags/LL
Pic of 1 of our 2 properly colored pullets https://www.backyardchickens.com/image/id/NaN/width/400/flags/LL

Edit: I think I remember MyPetChicken getting their chicks from Meyer Hatchery. It is where mine came from. I got 52 chicks at the end of March, lost only 4. They were straight run, all ended up pullets.

Last edited:
I also now go by how long the tail feathers are when the pullets start growing. It seems to take the little roos much longer to grow theirs. Esp if the chicks have black on them...I can tell if those are actually roos or if they are pullets the same way ( by tail feathers).

fuzziecreatures... some of your images show up as no longer available and if you still have them somewhere else, I would really like to see them.

This is my young faverolle. I think he is a rooster. Can anyone help confirm that. Thank you. I really do not know the tell tale signs yet.

This is my young faverolle. I think he is a rooster. Can anyone help confirm that. Thank you. I really do not know the tell tale signs yet.

Hi wind windandraine and welcome to BYC!

Yours is for sure a pullet. The boys are mainly black with lighter hackles and saddle feathers. So that it's not confusing for folks on here who are looking at the OP's question, you will get a better response if you post a new thread with your questions and photos :)

Back
Top Bottom