Salmon Faverolles chicks breed and gender?

StrawHatHolly

Chirping
Apr 30, 2021
I got these chicks at my local feed store a few weeks ago. They had a major malfunction when labeling the breeds and long story short I got a couple different breeds than what I asked for and what they were labeled as. I decided to get some Salmon Faverolles because they had some and they were listed as pullets. I’ve never had Faverolles before but I have a feeling these are not pullets but are actually cockerels. They are 4 weeks old and their combs are very pink now and I know I’ve heard that is a sign of a male. I’m not super familiar with sexing Salmon Faverolles and from what I’ve seen other people say you can’t actually sex them until they start to feather out. So does anyone who is more familiar with Faverolles know if these are cockerels and also if they are even Salmon Faverolles at all? :lol:
F25DC7E7-6C79-4403-A729-18D2278447D2.jpeg
EAE69185-B32A-4B78-BE12-12B064DCF55D.jpeg
868C7017-1387-4E34-9771-FE76CEC3E07A.jpeg
2D7F6927-7A49-4BA1-A66D-CC6F94F92DB2.jpeg

I got these chicks at my local feed store a few weeks ago. They had a major malfunction when labeling the breeds and long story short I got a couple different breeds than what I asked for and what they were labeled as. I decided to get some Salmon Faverolles because they had some and they were listed as pullets. I’ve never had Faverolles before but I have a feeling these are not pullets but are actually cockerels. They are 4 weeks old and their combs are very pink now and I know I’ve heard that is a sign of a male. I’m not super familiar with sexing Salmon Faverolles and from what I’ve seen other people say you can’t actually sex them until they start to feather out. So does anyone who is more familiar with Faverolles know if these are cockerels and also if they are even Salmon Faverolles at all? :lol:
View attachment 3081864View attachment 3081865View attachment 3081866View attachment 3081867
I would say there salmon favorelle cockerels but I am not sure here is my female.....can you take a pic of there chest. Plus if they have 5 toes that is the breed
20220426_203458.jpg
20220426_201211.jpg

I would say chick 2 yes and not sure about chick one but I am really bad at this so I am not sure I would wait for someone else....
I’m really positive that chick 2 is a boy because of how dark the chick is and also he/she is the wildest one in the bunch. Definitely roo behavior, but chick 1 is more calm and a slightly lighter color. None of the female salmon faverolles seem to have any gray like these both have. I appreciate your opinion! I hope at least one of these is a girl but it’s seeming like it’s not gonna happen that way.

I'm new to chickens so my knowledge is little but I did read there are different types of Faveroles. What if it's a blue salmon mix? Or could just be a roo? But then again they both have the white chest which I thought was a hen thing?
From the Internet: "Faverolles chickens come in a wide color palette, from Mahogany, Black, Buff, Blue, Blue Salmon, Cuckoo, Ermine, Laced Blue, to Splash. But only two colors are actually recognized by the American Poultry Association: White and Salmon.Nov 4, 2019
https://thefrugalchicken.com › salm...

Salmon Faverolles Chickens Owner's Guide"​

Check this blue salmon Faverolle I found on the web.
I didn’t even know there was a blue variation! You might be into something there. I got them at Tractor Supply and the worker actually switched these up with another one when they were showing me which was which. They told me these were Buff Rocks and that the ones they said were Salmon Faverolles are actually still mystery chicks. After I left I told my husband something was terribly wrong. A few weeks ago I asked in another thread if I was right to assume that these Buff Rock fakers were actually the Salmon Faverolles and a lot of people agreed. At this point I believe they are a mix of some kind. Beautiful chicks regardless. I just really hope they turn out to be girls. Theres a lot of finger crossing going on. :fl

They're a bit young to be certain, but I'm not seeing anything that screams cockerel. A lot of hatchery SF pullets have dark wings.

Post updated pics of chests in a couple weeks.
That’s good to hear! I’ve read that hatchery SF have lots of differences in feather color. I was worried about how red their combs seem to be already so I hope it’s just me being paranoid. The last time I got chicks that were label as pullets from my local TS I ended up with 5 roosters and 1 hen. :lol: I’ll make sure to post updated pictures in a few weeks!

Back
Top Bottom