Salmon Faverolles "pullet" starting to feather black...

PiTownPeep

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 27, 2014
Pioneertown, California
Could "she" be a "he"? Bought 4 from hatchery as pullets...but I seem to be finding references that Salmon Faverolles that start feathering in black are cockerels. Opinions? Do female Salmons ever feather in black? Chick is 3 weeks old tomorrow. I have two that are beginning to get black on their breasts...

Haha, aww, that gawky teenage phase!
lau.gif

From what I've read, 2-3 weeks is sort of the sweet spot for sexing Faverolles...they feather black on their chests if they're roos. Pullets can feather black on their wings, but the chest is almost surely an indicator of a male.

Last edited:
Haha, aww, that gawky teenage phase!
lau.gif

From what I've read, 2-3 weeks is sort of the sweet spot for sexing Faverolles...they feather black on their chests if they're roos. Pullets can feather black on their wings, but the chest is almost surely an indicator of a male.
Yes, the awkward stage! I have a polish that looks more like a prehistoric insect with antennae right now... :) Thanks for the info, I am thinking out of 14 chicks I've somehow ended up with three roos. I hope they can figure out who is boss without drawing blood... ordered pullets, oh well!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom