Salmon Favorelle--Broody???

nchls school

Crowing
8 Years
Apr 22, 2015
Tennessee
I bought 15 or so favorelle chicks last spring, but due to rain and flooding only two survived. Lucky me, it turned out to be a pair. They are huge and beautiful. The hen/pullet started to lay a couple weeks ago. The eggs are quite large; bigger than what the other laying hens are producing. I read somewhere that favorelles are a breed that goes broody. My hen now has 13 eggs in her nest. Can anyone verify that favorelles are a broody type chicken?

I hear mixed reviews on Favorelles going broody. It seems most won't but between 25-30% will. I plan to add them to my meat project. Side question: Is your rooster friendly? I'm probably going to need to keep two roosters to properly cover 15-17 hens so considering a Favorelle but might just go with two Chanteclers.
I have a Salmon Faverolles cockerel. He's great. Not aggressive. Gentle with the girls and always on the look out for threats and issuing warnings.
20181104_134711.jpg

Last edited:
Any chicken could go broody, even one of a breed not known for it. However, Salmon Faverolles don't typically go broody.
Is she sitting on the nest or just laying her eggs and leaving?

A broody hen continuously lays in the nesting box and ruffles her feathers and growls at you when you touch or try to move her. She will only get off her nest to eat, stretch, deficate and dust bathe.
Does that sound like your gal?? If so, then yes! She is broody!

I hear mixed reviews on Favorelles going broody. It seems most won't but between 25-30% will. I plan to add them to my meat project. Side question: Is your rooster friendly? I'm probably going to need to keep two roosters to properly cover 15-17 hens so considering a Favorelle but might just go with two Chanteclers.

Vey friendly and docile.

Any chicken could go broody, even one of a breed not known for it. However, Salmon Faverolles don't typically go broody.
Is she sitting on the nest or just laying her eggs and leaving?
What you say is true, but...some breeds are just not likely to brood. Like Polish-none of mine have ever gone broody. Then with my serama and silkie-100% brood.

Back
Top Bottom