Salmonella in backyard chicken eggs USA News

We've known about this for months. It was a specific hatchery at a specific time, and of course like petting a dog or a cat you should wash your hands after.

Quote:
Yep, and I make the kids do thiers too. Than again I'm a soapmaker, and have 2 clean scented boys, so we may be an outlier here.

Hand sanitizer is great when you don't have a sink around, but since it's alchol based, frequent use can lead to cracked skin, which lets bacteria in. So soap at a sink, and pump when there isn't one.

I keep hand sanitizer in the coop and after I handle the chickens I use hand sanitizer and then when I go in the house I wash my hands. I didn't know dogs and cats had salmonella too.
hmm.png

I wash my hands after working with the chickens, and I have 2 special pairs of shoes for going out to the pens that stay by the basement door and never come upstairs. I also wash my eggs before putting them in the fridge.

I have a 2 year old, so washing my hands is a pretty normal activity around here! She doesn't go into the pens often either, but we always hose down her shoes after and leave them on the porch.

sunny & the 5 egg layers :

I keep hand sanitizer in the coop and after I handle the chickens I use hand sanitizer and then when I go in the house I wash my hands. I didn't know dogs and cats had salmonella too.
hmm.png

lol they don't but reptiles can carry it as well. but still handle any animal > wash up.​

Back
Top Bottom