Salmonella outbreak

Quote:
I write about pet foods and pet care for a living. Actually, meat used in dog and cat foods does not contain feathers unless it is specifically listed (there are various government labeling requirements for what goes in pet food). When you read "poultry" or "chicken" on the label, it means the bird minus head, feet and feathers.

The battery hens will likely end up in pet food as well.

When it says "feather meal" or "poultry by-products" you are more than likely speaking of the bones and feathers of the birds. Also, when I speak of "animal feed" I mean for cattle, poultry, swine, not pets.

Quote:
I write about pet foods and pet care for a living. Actually, meat used in dog and cat foods does not contain feathers unless it is specifically listed (there are various government labeling requirements for what goes in pet food). When you read "poultry" or "chicken" on the label, it means the bird minus head, feet and feathers.

Do you know for sure they are not in ANY animal feed? Or just in fido or fluffy's food?

It is my understanding (and I may be wrong on this) that feathers MUST be listed as a feed ingredient in order to have them in the food.

Quote:

When it says "feather meal" or "poultry by-products" you are more than likely speaking of the bones and feathers of the birds. Also, when I speak of "animal feed" I mean for cattle, poultry, swine, not pets.

This is true for feather meal, but I don't believe it is in poultry by-products. I quote from AAFCO: "Poultry by-products must consist of non-rendered clean parts of carcasses of slaughtered poultry such as heads, feet, viscera, free from fecal content and foreign matter except in such trace amounts as might occur unavoidably in good factory practice."

I believe that the labeling requirements are the same.

Back
Top Bottom