Salmonella outbreak

Hi! I was reading that earlier and it brought up the question: "Where does Salmonella *in eggs* come from?"
Thanks!
smile.png

Lisa

Quote:
I think from infected birds that lay the eggs...

That could be, but I also think that it may be from poor handling procedures.

I found this:

Are Salmonella bacteria most likely to be found in the egg’s white or yolk?
Bacteria, if they are present at all, are most likely to be in the white and will be unable to grow, mostly due to lack of nutrients. As the egg ages, however, the white thins and the yolk membrane weakens. This makes it possible for bacteria to reach the nutrient-dense yolk where they can grow over time if the egg is kept at warm temperatures. But, in a clean, uncracked, fresh shell egg, internal contamination occurs only rarely.

Doesn’t the eggshell protect an egg from bacteria?
Yes and no. The egg has many natural, built-in barriers to help prevent bacteria from entering and growing. These protect the egg on its way from the hen to your home. But, although it does help, the porous shell itself is not a foolproof bacterial barrier. For additional safety, government regulations require that eggs be carefully washed with special detergent and sanitized.

Other protective barriers include the shell and yolk membranes and layers of the white which fight bacteria in several ways. The structure of the shell membranes helps prevent the passage of bacteria. The shell membranes also contain lysozyme, a substance that helps prevent bacterial infection. The yolk membrane separates the nutrient-rich yolk from the white.

In addition to containing antibacterial compounds such as lysozyme, layers of the white discourage bacterial growth because they are alkaline, bind nutrients bacteria need and/or don’t provide nutrients in a form that bacteria can use. The thick white discourages the movement of bacteria. The last layer of white is composed of thick ropey strands which have little of the water that bacteria need but a high concentration of the white’s protective materials. This layer holds the yolk centered in the egg where it receives the maximum protection from all the other layers.

I just found that interesting. Too bad there has been another outbreak! I can't wait to get MY OWN CHICKIES!
yippiechickie.gif

Hi Redhen! That's what I thought as well. Then the question was asked, "Well, where did *the hens* get Salmonella?".
And in addition... I had a chicken-buyer a while back that was concerned about her horses catching Salmonella from her new chickens. I told her (*perhaps incorrectly) that I didn't think horses could get Salmonella from the chickens unless the chickens were carrying it already.
*Now I realize, I just don't know for sure.
smile.png

Lisa

Hi TheChickenCameFirst! Thanks! I read something like that before. Then I read somewhere else that chickens can *carry* Salmonella, and pass it into their eggs and others can pick it up from droppings (horses from chickens). I don't know if it is true or not, but thought it was a good time to ask.
smile.png

Lisa

Whoops, I started a topic called Egg Recall... I saw this one (didn't open yet) and thought it was a Meat thing... anywho, here's the link I had and my two cents...

http://www.thirdage.com/news/egg-recall-effect-due-salmonella-contamination-fears_8-17-2010

Opening paragraph:

An egg recall is taking place upon recognition of a potential salmonella contamination. Wright County Egg of Galt, Iowa said the affected eggs were shipped to food wholesalers, distribution centers and food service companies. Along with Minnesota, the recall affects Wisconsin, Iowa, Illinois, Nebraska, Missouri, Colorado and California.

This doesn't effect us, being up north and all, but thought I'd throw it out there for the folks who are up there and have friends/businesses that bought from this company.

Makes us look smart for having our own, but what a horrible way to learn the lesson.
sad.png

There are a couple different ways to get Salmonella from eggs. It can come from fecal matter on the egg and it can also be passed from an infected hen to the egg. I'm sure lots of people are exposed to it at one point or another and just naturally fight it off. I had Salmonella once several years ago and it was absolutely horrendous. By the time I went to the doctor, I couldn't even walk. My dad had to come get me at my apartment and carry me to the car. I lost about 20 pounds in less than two weeks. I shudder to even think about it. It was probably the worst thing I have ever experienced.

Its sad, its like a garden... if you don't have healthy air circulation then you contaiminate the whole bed. One passes it to another, to another and eventually the diseases get out.

Yet, we still raise birds in conditions that are not only unhealthy for them... but for us!
somad.gif

Back
Top Bottom