Salmonella outbreak

I am so glad to say we do not depend on the systems of support such as industrialized agriculture for our eggs. We always know our eggs are safe.

No agency can ever guarantee food safety. It's unrealistic to expect it or demand it. Humans can't control the natural world only pervert it.

Keeping hundred of thousands of birds three levels high in one of hundreds of barns is perverting nature and inviting disaster.

Perverted environments produce perverted microbes now able to thrive in humans.

Sadly, it's a perversion we all are guilty of perpetuating every time we visit the supermarket or our favorite restaurant to find easy food that seems to appear like magic from who cares where.

Nothing brings you closer to nature or your creator than giving thanks and taking one of Gods creatures to sustain your own. You will NEVER take your food for granted ever again believe me.

Don't spend too much time patting yourself on the back because of your home grown salmonella free eggs. You have no way, short of a lab culture, of knowing for sure whether they are salmonella free or not. Personally, I think this is a whole lot of fuss over nothing. Unless you are eating or using the eggs raw, whether they are infected with salmonella doesn't matter. Proper cooking kills it.

Seems to me that I learned in my science classes, salmonella and e-coli occur naturally on almost anything derived from animal and plants. That is why we were taught to prepare foods properly, washing our hands before starting to cook, keeping all counters, implements and cooking utensils as clean as possible.

USDA will test the hens to see if they are internally infected with salmonella
before the order is given to destroy the flocks. Proper sanitation would probably have taken care of the salmonella on the eggs and prevented the outbreak.

Enola wrote: Seems to me that I learned in my science classes, salmonella and e-coli occur naturally on almost anything derived from animal and plants. That is why we were taught to prepare foods properly, washing our hands before starting to cook, keeping all counters, implements and cooking utensils as clean as possible.

One of the `facts' stipulated to (both sides agreeing to agree) in Bayer Vs. FDA re: Use of Baytril in Commercial poultry operations was that, yes, more people developed GI symptoms (Campylobacter) after eating chicken in restaurants, than did those who prepared and cooked raw chicken at home: the Campylobacter was most probably being passed from the restaurant workers to the diners (chicken was either innocent or undercooked).

Accurately portraying relative risk (or much else for that matter) does not drive the news cycle.​

Last edited:
I would just like to say how absolutely thrilled I am that I get my eggs from my backyard! Finally - that's one recall I don't have to worry about...about time we catch a break!!
celebrate.gif
ya.gif
yippiechickie.gif

Take that Murphy!!
tongue2.gif
big_smile.png

My hubby .. who is sooo against my chickens.. and my whole family thinks I have flipped my wig....
gig.gif
Now I can... say..... Eat your store bought eggs... and I will eat mine...
yippiechickie.gif

ONLY problem I have... the dadblame chickens havent'started laying yet!!!
th.gif

Quote:
Your argument is compelling and logical but your avitar is so Monty Python! (love it)
This is the best understanding of this subject I have encountered. If there is more you can share, please do.

so glad i have my own chickens (demand for my eggs are about to go up better get a sign) i dont eat eggs much but now when i do if i got them from store i have to worry about salmonella? i would never eat eggs again

Back
Top Bottom