We need your amazing chicken photos for our 2020 Calendar! Submit your pics HERE!

Salmonella ??

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by UrbanHenKW123, Jul 22, 2019.

1. UrbanHenKW123

UrbanHenKW123 Chirping

Jun 25, 2019
    Kitchener - Canada
    Ok so I was freaking myself out a bit and reading the CDC prevention page on salmonella. Apparently it can live in the dust??? Just curious what is everyone's prevention and maybe looking for a little reassurance so I can stop freaking out and lysoling everything lol

2. DobieLover

DobieLover Easily distracted by chickens

Jul 23, 2018
    Apalachin, NY
    My Coop
    Stop freaking out and lysoling everything.
    Simply practicing good hygiene for the chickens by providing far more than the minimum space, keeping their area as dry as you can, and removing as much poop daily as you can (this translates into poop boards under the roosts) will go a long way towards their sanitation and health, both physical and mental.
    ALWAYS wash your hands after being in the chicken area, have a dedicated pair of coop shoes that you keep outside the house if possible and never eat or drink in the coop/run area when you are hangin' with your peeps!
    And no kissing chickens!!!

3. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Free Ranging

Thing is salmonella is NOT in every flock. Just because your chickens can catch or carry the bacteria doesn't mean they are. ;)

Salmonella egg recalls was what made me get my own flock, almost 10 years ago. Sometimes the eggs we eat (even now) have been stored in the fridge for 6+ months. :eek:

Nobody has gotten sick from eating our eggs (not washed even before consumption)... and poultry. Even fresh processed chickens at home last soooo much longer than anything at the supermarket which has been contaminated and cross contaminated due to the sheer volume they do.

Believe it or not... trying to kill every bacteria is not beneficial to us.... as in Lysol-ing everything. Yes, there is a time and place when anyone with a weakened immune system might need a little help to keep the numbers down. But in a "healthy" environment there are also other bacteria fighting for their own space and keeping things in check. Remember Lysol will kill good bacteria as well as the bad. Our bodies are fully inhabited by bacteria that makes up our own microbiom, and everyone's is unique!

Since we have 3 dogs, plenty of poultry and the like... my family now has a stronger immune system than before we kept animals! A little exposure to many things will put your immune system on alert and keep it at the ready... with lot's of T cells (to fight viruses) and such doing push ups and staying buff so they can hammer unwelcome invaders when it's time. This is not a fully accurate description, but just to give you an idea.

https://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/health/conditionsandtreatments/antibacterial-cleaning-products

https://www.scientificamerican.com/...acterial-products-may-do-more-harm-than-good/

https://www.thespruce.com/antibacterial-vs-regular-cleaners-1900777

One more thing I saw mentioned in one of the links posted... My hubby was a licensing surveyor for state department of public health hear in California. Where they surveyed hospitals and rest homes for their standard licence as well as any complaints filed. He found MANY times the facility was NOT leaving the surface WET long enough for the product to work as claimed.. or it simply dried to rapidly... essentially defeating the purpose.

Hope this helps you simmer down a bit and start enjoying your flock more! :)

Aunt Angus and UrbanHenKW123 like this.
  4. UrbanHenKW123

UrbanHenKW123 Chirping

Jun 25, 2019
    Kitchener - Canada
    :thumbsup Thank you !! this helps a lot. I definitely will be installing a poop board as well.

5. Aunt Angus

Aunt Angus Crowing

Jul 16, 2018
    Sacramento County, CA
    My Coop
    Not to make anyone freak out even more, but there were only a little over a hundred cases of salmonella poisoning linked to pets last year, and not all of those were from chickens. It is waaaaay more likely someone will get salmonellosis from produce. Just wash up, and you'll be fine. If you have small children, make certain they wash well after handling chickens (or any pets, for that matter). They are more susceptible to bacteria in general because of their little immune systems.

UrbanHenKW123 likes this.
  6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Plus, many kids put everything into the mouth.

Lack of properly washing probably accounted for a majority of cases.

Aunt Angus likes this.
  7. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Crowing

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    Salmonella is killed by adequate cooking. Cook your food and washing your hands after handling livestock is dang good advice.

AUChickenGal likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: