Salmonellosis

Jedifam7

Chirping
Dec 30, 2020
Hey guys, we are in NC and several people in our neighborhood have found dead Pine Siskins in their yard in the past week, apparently there is a nasty case of salmonellosis running around. My concern is this: yesterday all of the turkeys were in the yard enjoying the weather, when night fell all but 2 of the girls went home on their own, we went out to guide them back in the dark and 1 of my turkeys was dead...fresh dead, still warm and sitting on an egg. I'm terribly upset about this as there were no predators and there appears to be nothing wrong with her except of course that shes dead.
Is there a possibility of this salmonellosis passing to my brood?

Thanks for any info.

Hey guys, we are in NC and several people in our neighborhood have found dead Pine Siskins in their yard in the past week, apparently there is a nasty case of salmonellosis running around. My concern is this: yesterday all of the turkeys were in the yard enjoying the weather, when night fell all but 2 of the girls went home on their own, we went out to guide them back in the dark and 1 of my turkeys was dead...fresh dead, still warm and sitting on an egg. I'm terribly upset about this as there were no predators and there appears to be nothing wrong with her except of course that shes dead.
Is there a possibility of this salmonellosis passing to my brood?

Thanks for any info.
Sorry for your loss.

There are plenty of predators in NC. Did you examine the body really well.
Generally you would see symptoms before a bird died. If she was fine, then I would be looking for another cause.
The best way to find out what happened would be to have a necropsy/testing. NC has 4 state labs hopefully 1 is near you, if not, call them and ask how to ship the body to them.
http://www.ncagr.gov/vet/ncvdl/

Back
Top Bottom