Salutations :D (My BYC Intro)

CreativePullet

Chirping
Apr 5, 2019
Wisconsin
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
I got my first flock of six Barred Plymouth Rocks (all females) on April 26th 2016. They were one week old and the cutest things I had ever seen:love:love. Everything went fine till they started living outside during the day. Then knats started bothering them. I started finding tiny dots of blood on their heads and I believed the little creatures were picking on each other (I had read time and time again before that barred rocks can be quite aggressive and had no idea knats were a problem). I saw no acts of aggression ever between the birds but when three(including my favorite)died because of the bothersome black terrors I blamed the chickens. One more perished to this same fate,taking it's last breath after a frantic attempt to save her. The last two made it to adulthood and lived a winter before a predator came and killed Pecky. With only one remaining from the original flock my sister (@Dawn Of The Chicken Bock ) and I purchased two golden laced wyandottes. The last barred rock (Becky) got trapped beneath a container,over heated and died (we never found out how she got trapped). We gave the golden laces to someone else because they had just been company for Becky. Now on April 25th 2019 a new flock of 1 Silkie,1 Barred Rock,2 Back Australorps,2 Speckled Sussex and 2 Buff Orpingtons will be picked up:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

(3) What breeds do you have?
None

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?
Their hilarious way of running,watching them grow,their unique personality s and collecting eggs
(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
Writing,creating crafts and reading
(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
I have a blue/white parakeet named Bubbles:D:D:D:D:D:D

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D
I looked up various chicken stuff and this always popped up so I checked it out:) I joined so I could show off my chickens as they grow:p:p:p:p:p

Welcome to Backyard Chickens :frow
:welcome
Sorry about your last flock.
Good luck starting a new one!
11B524CC-8974-4C23-8DFB-543BBBD486E7.jpeg

Hello, welcome to Backyard Chickens! we're Glad you're now part of the flock! :welcome

Sorry to hear about your past losses and good luck with restarting a new flock.
Are you going to make any changes so you don't end up loosing your chickens again? A secure coop and run should prevent your chickens from getting into trouble with predators or other deadly objects in their surroundings. If your chicks are drawing blood, they may be overcrowded or having some lack in nutrients. If you see blood on a chicken, put anti-peck spray on the wound or separate him/her from the rest of the flock until it healed or the habit of pecking the victim will increase to where it is possibly fatal.

Hope you enjoy it here as much as we all do!

Hello, welcome to Backyard Chickens! we're Glad you're now part of the flock! :welcome

Sorry to hear about your past losses and good luck with restarting a new flock.
Are you going to make any changes so you don't end up loosing your chickens again? A secure coop and run should prevent your chickens from getting into trouble with predators or other deadly objects in their surroundings. If your chicks are drawing blood, they may be overcrowded or having some lack in nutrients. If you see blood on a chicken, put anti-peck spray on the wound or separate him/her from the rest of the flock until it healed or the habit of pecking the victim will increase to where it is possibly fatal.

Hope you enjoy it here as much as we all do!

Thanks for the advice:):):) and yes I will be making changes:cool:

Back
Top Bottom