1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Same hen??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Dixiedoodle, Mar 3, 2011.

1. Dixiedoodle

Dixiedoodle Songster

Apr 14, 2007
    I have been waiting on my four true Ameraucanas to start laying they are 37weeks old.. Tues. I got my first egg from them... a small perfectly formed egg, that was the palest blue--almost white--but just a hint of blue...Well, Wed. and today I went to gather eggs and found a beautiful blue egg--same shape and size but really blue. Could this be the same hen?? OR do you think I have at least two who have started? Each day, I have been almost 'running' to gather eggs to see how many colored eggs they have laid.. I am so excited, so many colors for my egg basket..

2. allieloveschickens

allieloveschickens Songster

May 20, 2010
    San Diego
    I'm not sure if their egg color changes- but it is possible if she is just starting to lay. I have an EE girl and she lays consistently pale blue eggs. I have another one who has not laid yet- she is a newly acquired and I think still adjusting. Hoping she lays a darker blue egg! [​IMG]

3. Pinky

Pinky Songster

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    I think you have two hens that are laying. I've always been told the egg color cannot change.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by