Same problem as last year

emilythestrange

Chirping
Oct 22, 2020
Midlands UK
One of my silkies has randomly lost his sense of balance
This happened to another silkie from the same breeder both 2020 bred.
The last one had problem with his leg and seemed to be mareks ? Well that’s what I thought
Then I’ve had no problems since the the rest of the small flock
A day ago I noticed this white male silkie is tipping his head back funny to one side and can’t keep balance very well. It was a slight limp a day ago or so.

I have seen mice in the cage recently
Also we are in a bird flu area

If you haven't had any problems with the rest of your flock, I wouldn't think it was Marek's unless the others are vaccinated. It may be some sort of vitamin deficiency or something genetic since they are both from the same breeder. Have you tried giving him Nutri-drench or a similar product. There are many very knowledgeable people here and maybe one of them can help.

The last bird that ended up off its legs was in October.
So far this is just abit of a limp and tucking neck back to keep a balance
Will try to get a video tomorrow
the other rooster from the same breeder has been fine.
don’t know what to do for the best at the moment. He is the quietest most docile. If I separated him I’m worried he would be picked on if / when I needed to re introduce as the other rooster is trying to mate at the moment but has been leaving the underdog alone as he doesn’t show any signs of crowing or male behaviours ... very supressed.

That looks like a neurological symptom, possible seizure activity. Wry neck is also a neurological symptom, and vitamin E plus thiamine (vitamin b1) are both used to treat possible deficiencies. Head injuries and diseases such as Mareks, Newcastles, and others can cause this. It does sound like your previous death may have had Mareks. A necropsy or testing by a lab could be done to confirm the disease if you lose this one. Sorry that you are dealing with this.

I’ve given him sunflower seeds (how many are enough?). Put layers pellets in my hand so he can see them better. Which he ate
And I’ve seen him bend his neck down to drink.
I’ve put some liquid vitamins in the water

I feed my flock layers pellets... and they are free range all day
Do I need to change something ? Or is this just an un vaccinated silkie thing ?

Silkies are prone to wry neck, so it could be genetic or it could be one of the possible causes listed in post 8. We usually recommend vitamins in case that helps. I don’t know how many sunflower kernels to give, but they have plenty of E. It is better to get some vitamin E softgels and give 400 IU daily. Any extra thiamine or B 1 should be plenty. Plain yogurt and eggs have thiamine. B complex or super B have all B vitamins, and dosage is 1/4 tablet daily. This video can help with feeding:

Back
Top Bottom