Samples on pradator proofing a chicken coop.....

arch_cpj

Songster
9 Years
Mar 19, 2010
medina county
I have seen a number of newbies and oldies asking for tips on predator proofing a pen. I have attached some pics here to show you how we have done it... As you see the run only used when Im not home during the day and Im not home other wise at nite they are locked up and during the day are free ranging but I am next to a woods and they have thickets etc to hide in... Electric wire covers the perimeter around the coop and pen Ive been pretty successful at keeping critters out my coop alone should do it but the electric wire is insurance... Also and I know it goes into the other section but check out my waterer 15 gallon automatic..... Anyway the top is deer netting and only to stop birds... Now if the birds are outside I disconett the fence my charget has killed a small rabbit a small coon and numerous small sparrows... It is a weed cutter but to protect the birds Ill use it... I included a pic of the inside as you can see very sturdy and the windows are 3/8 inch lexan un breakable no coon to push em our... Any comments or ideas are welcome...

51588_232323232fp_7_nu5847_4_2_259_wsnrcg3389_9836335nu0mrj.jpg

51588_232323232fp_95_nu5847_4_2_259_wsnrcg3389_858335nu0mrj.jpg

51588_232323232fp_84_nu5847_4_2_259_wsnrcg3389_8_4335nu0mrj.jpg

51588_232323232fp_83_nu5847_4_2_259_wsnrcg3386_9739_335nu0mrj.jpg

Looks really good! Hot wire is the best bet.
What goes aross the top of the run? I can't tell if there is anything.

your birds are beautiful. I'll go over to the other thread to read more on your automatic waterer. nice set-up!!
btw I worked for the man that invented Lexan! Dr. Dan Fox!

The top of the run is covered with nylon deer netting stretched tight... It is protected by a perimeter of hot wire and there are no overhanging trees.. I still lock the coop everynite and I only let the birds free range if Im home if Im at work they are in the run til Im home I throw a bit of scratch in there and they are happy... If you have a coop and no hot wire I fear you are asking for trouble...

You could also stretch the hotwire across the top to predator proof. You could weave it or stretch it evewry 3 - 4 inches. Especially if you used the yellow corded type of hotwire which has a nylon cord intertwined. Very visible.

I love electric fence. Keeps dogs and coyotes out (as well as neighbor kids LOL) and keeps your animals in, be it chickens, goats, horses, etc.

Quote:
I agree and it is not that time consuming or expensive to do.
I lock mine up everynight, never fail, threw rain and sleet and in sickenss and in health.
Nothing is worse than waking up to find all your beloved chickens dead and to know you are the reason why they are dead.

Back
Top Bottom