Sams Club Feed

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by plapczynski, Nov 7, 2008.

1. plapczynski

plapczynski Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2008
    Chillicothe, OH
    Anyone else use the layer feed at Sams Club?

It's about 9.50 for a 50 lb bag in Ohio.

We use a bag a week for 30 birds and the local TSC was creeping up to $14.00 a bag.

2. Maryallison77

Maryallison77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2008
    Fountain, Florida
    [​IMG] Oh neat! I didn't know Sams had chicken food! Now I know Wal-mart has some close to me, but not all of them carry it

3. bkbuz1987

bkbuz1987 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I bought a bag from WalMart and it looked like bird seed to me, mostly cracked corn. I didn't check the protien amounts and ended up using it for the wild birds. It was about $7.00 for a 50 lb. pag. When I go back I'll check the protien % and decide then if it's a good thing. I'm new to the chicken world and wasn't aware that the protien amount was important.

4. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    I have bought the walmart stuff, it has a strange smell to it, kind of a chemical smell. I never ended up using it, i took it back and went to fleet farm. I imagine sams club's is the same brand walmart carries altho the sams here doesn't carry chicken feed

5. Reinbeau

Reinbeau The Teapot Underground Premium Member

I have yet to see a Walmart around here that has any kind of farm animal feed. Bird food, cat food, dog food, that's about it.

6. mamato3

mamato3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2008
    SWMissouri
    I seen one of the walmart store here sells livestock feed. Next they will be selling buy chicks lol. Ill have to see if sams here has chicken feed

7. hinky toes

hinky toes Out Of The Brooder

Nov 1, 2008
    Bozeman, MT
    Walmart feed that smells funny? I hope it's not full of melamine!...I'm sorry to joke but it sounds too cheap for real chix food.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2008
  8. plapczynski

plapczynski Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2008
    Chillicothe, OH
    The Sams Club feed is a crumble. From the looks of it less than 1% is visible pieces of corn. I will have to look at the protein content since I am due to pick up another bag this week.

9. chickiebaby

chickiebaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    western mass
    The melamine thing does have me pretty scared. I used to buy organic feed only but it got too flipping expensive this past year. I buy Blue Seal, which is local (New England, anyway, not ALL that local) and I figure that is better than big box stores, which are certainly cheap but may not have the ethics to fully vet their suppliers . . .

Anybody out there who's actually done any legwork on the melamine thing?

10. Reinbeau

Reinbeau The Teapot Underground Premium Member

Now that I think of it, I wouldn't buy any of that cheap feed from Walmart or the like for fear that is is from China. I'll stick to my local feed and grain. I eat quality food, my kitties eat quality food, why would I want my chooks to eat anything less? I want quality eggs from them!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by