San Diego Chicken meetup and Chat thread

Quote hcrossn: I would like information on ordering meal worms please!

Reply Crazy Huhn: I do breed meal worms for my chickens for about 5 years now. They are all grown organically on wheat bran from an organic farm in Idaho and organic veggies (mostly out of my own backyard). They have never been refrigerated, they are all alive and beautiful golden in color. The quality of the worms is appreciated by our local BYC members, but I also ship if requested (see BYC thread mealworm farming). I do sell them, but have also bartered them at our SD meet-ups for hatching eggs, delicious "Chef Glenn coffee", "AA chick" goat milk and goat milk soap, plants ....Please feel free to send me a PM with any other questions you might have or PM me your phone number and I will call you back.

Quote Ozexpat: This place sells them for $1000-3000 per ton based on quantity ordered. F.O.B. Shanghai
Minimum of a ton.
Can produce 60 tons a month.
Thats a lot of meal worms.
They take Paypal

Reply Crazy Huhn: Thank you so much for posting this. I know you were joking, but seriously, this is just another reason to breed my own worms: F.O.B. Shanghai: yuck
sickbyc.gif
. I would never feed my animals anything from Shanghai. Those are bred on non-organic "who knows what". I do not think that customs would let you import live ones, but I would not even feed my chickens the dried version as those are treated with chemicals to make them more appealing for the chickens eye
wink.png
or to give them a better shelf life. Anyways, I could go on and on, but we can continue the conversation on March 2. Looking forward to meet "old" and new SD backyardchickens people and will bring some San Diego grown wormies for your chickens to sample on.
BTW: I had one gentleman shipping 3,000 meal worms to the Philippines two years ago.... He wanted to start a meal worm farm over there.
They come in 100g packages ready to sell. I would not be surprised if the dried meal worms you (well not you but the generic you) buy in the pet food store are the very same worms. I could not imagine a ton of dried meal worms but its fun to see how cheap stuff is if you buy a container load on alibaba.com. You can get anything

Meal worms are great carriers of Mareks.

I dont buy them at all.

So...we have run into a fairly difficult financial situation and need to begin cutting costs and unfortunately our lovely hens are a cost that we are going to try and minimize. We love them dearly, but feel the need to reduce our small flock to a smaller flock. We've sat staring at them for days now, debating on who will need to either start making money or move on to greener pastures. While we don't want to sound greedy about getting money for them, any help would help out tremendously. We're starting small with who was voted out of the coop, so up first and hopefully last are our two gorgeous Silver Laced Wyandottes. They are not show quality fancy pants gorgeous, but we don't tell them that. They were born near the middle of last summer and started laying eggs this December. We have named them Y and Dot, as they are Wyandottes. I guess what we are wondering, would anybody like to buy our chickens? Not really sure how much a chicken sells for though...anyway, thanks for reading and hopefully somebody will have room for two more pretty ladies.

Oh, we're in La Mesa.

So...we have run into a fairly difficult financial situation and need to begin cutting costs and unfortunately our lovely hens are a cost that we are going to try and minimize. We love them dearly, but feel the need to reduce our small flock to a smaller flock. We've sat staring at them for days now, debating on who will need to either start making money or move on to greener pastures. While we don't want to sound greedy about getting money for them, any help would help out tremendously. We're starting small with who was voted out of the coop, so up first and hopefully last are our two gorgeous Silver Laced Wyandottes. They are not show quality fancy pants gorgeous, but we don't tell them that. They were born near the middle of last summer and started laying eggs this December. We have named them Y and Dot, as they are Wyandottes. I guess what we are wondering, would anybody like to buy our chickens? Not really sure how much a chicken sells for though...anyway, thanks for reading and hopefully somebody will have room for two more pretty ladies.

Oh, we're in La Mesa.

Will you be able to come to the meet-up on March 2nd chickypeps? That would be a great way to sell your girls....also post a picture for us and I can then post it on another thread on FaceBook.: California Poultry People :D

NPIP Certification

If anyone is interested in becoming NPIP certified: they do the testing in April so this would be a good time to Apply to
get on the schedule. The contact information for the NPIP program, is Monica Della Maggiore at
(209) 576-6355
or email her at
[email protected]
Thank you so much for passing the word. I would love to become NPIP and will definitely contact her. My only concern is, do they check if you are exceeding your chicken quota (and roosters)? I really don't want to start anything and want to stay on the DL but being NPIP certified would be huge.

$10.00 off the Skelter from Manna Pro! Makes it only $14,95 Discount code SPRING14
https://www.mannapro.com/products/p...royZ750iiWzMQRhwhBi7T9UtsaDN7A&_hsmi=12001357
Thank you! I just ordered mine :)

I have an all-night event that is going to be very physically challenging from Friday night through Saturday, so I'm not sure how dead or not dead I may be on Sunday. If I'm alive, I'll be there! I'll bring some fertile eggs for the raffle, and possibly some BBS Ameraucana chicks.
I hope we will see you tired, dead or full of energy!

Oh, we're in La Mesa.
I am so sorry what you are going through. Have you tried posting in the CPP in FB?

Did some errands today...   Went to a diesel truck place to price batteries.... Went to Pep boys to price batteries.... Went to Sushi for lunch....  When I came out Grandmas car was gone.... zip ... .nada....

No keys latched to may purse.... dont remember locking the car.  Distracted about the stuff I still needed to do.... 

Grandma is surprisingly Ok with it.....  Lost my manuscript and my walker.....

Police filed a report took my statement and info took grandmas info....  Mom came to the restaurant and picked me up.  then Went through the whole thing again with grandmas insurance company.... Tripple A.

I am going to bed soon.

deb "Good news Is I found a good deal on Batteries so will get a jumpstart tomorrow and take the truck in."
Geez Deb..you're batting a billion aren't you?!! Hope the batteries mean we'll see you on the second though.

They come in 100g packages ready to sell. I would not be surprised if the dried meal worms you (well not you but the generic you) buy in the pet food store are the very same worms. I could not imagine a ton of dried meal worms but its fun to see how cheap stuff is if you buy a container load on alibaba.com. You can get anything

Meal worms are great carriers of Mareks.

I dont buy them at all.
First of all: we are talking about farmed meal worms and not "wild" meal worms.

These are two totally different species:
Farmed meal worm: Tenebrio Molibro vs "Wild" meal worm also called "lesser meal worm" or Alphitobius diaperinus

Correctly farmed meal worms, Tenebrio Molibro (not allowing them to feast upon dead matter, feeding them fresh organic bran and veggies) are very safe and an excellent source of protein for your poultry to supplement a commercial mixed feed. "Wild" meal worms, Alphitobius diaperinius will transmit any disease or pathogenic bacteria from the source they are feeding on. This includes being a carrier host for internal parasites and they ARE a true pest to our poultry and even a health risk to humans (E.Coli, Salmonella, just to name a few).
Also: it is not the meal worm larva (commonly referred to as the meal worm) of the Alphitobius diaperinus that spreads poultry diseases such as Marek's, Newcastle disease, fowl pox etc., it is the beetle.
Responsibly farmed meal worms are a lot safer to feed to your poultry than any other insect or bug from your garden or compost pile.

For example check out these sources from the University of Florida, Australian Wildlife Association or one of our very respected BYC members Diana:

http://entnemdept.ufl.edu/creatures/livestock/poultry/lesser_mealworm.htm
http://www.ozanimals.com/Insect/Lesser-Mealworm-Beetle/Alphitobius/diaperinus.html
http://www.dlunicorn.conforums.com/index.cgi

Last edited:
Quote: yep its just raining down on me ..... it started last year.... some of that carried the negative energy to this year.... I am hoping to change all that.... some is out of my control. but some is.

I will be to the meet up. though I have to choose to buy new batteries or a new walker... I am going with the batteries becasue NOW i really need a vehicle. So when I go to the meetup My only choice for a walker may be crutches. We will see.

deb

First of all: we are talking about farmed meal worms and not "wild" meal worms.

These are two totally different species:
Farmed meal worm: Tenebrio Molibro vs "Wild" meal worm also called "lesser meal worm" or Alphitobius diaperinus

Correctly farmed meal worms, Tenebrio Molibro (not allowing them to feast upon dead matter, feeding them fresh organic bran and veggies) are very safe and an excellent source of protein for your poultry to supplement a commercial mixed feed. "Wild" meal worms, Alphitobius diaperinius will transmit any disease or pathogenic bacteria from the source they are feeding on. This includes being a carrier host for internal parasites and they ARE a true pest to our poultry and even a health risk to humans (E.Coli, Salmonella, just to name a few).
Also: it is not the meal worm larva (commonly referred to as the meal worm) of the Alphitobius diaperinus that spreads poultry diseases such as Marek's, Newcastle disease, fowl pox etc., it is the beetle.
Responsibly farmed meal worms are a lot safer to feed to your poultry than any other insect or bug from your garden or compost pile.

For example check out these sources from the University of Florida, Australian Wildlife Association or one of our very respected BYC members Diana:

http://entnemdept.ufl.edu/creatures/livestock/poultry/lesser_mealworm.htm
http://www.ozanimals.com/Insect/Lesser-Mealworm-Beetle/Alphitobius/diaperinus.html
http://www.dlunicorn.conforums.com/index.cgi

Great information and good citations. Thanks

I am forever learning.

Still, I wont be buying a container of Tenebrio Molibro anytime soon.

yep its just raining down on me ..... it started last year....  some of that carried the negative energy to this year....  I am hoping to change all that.... some is out of my control.   but some is.

I will be to the meet up.  though I have to choose to buy new batteries or a new walker...  I am going with the batteries becasue NOW i really need a vehicle.  So when I go to the meetup My only choice for a walker may be crutches.  We will see.  

deb
Do you have a specific type of walker that you need? I'm sure we can find one for you. I know my mom had a couple.

Quote: I need a bariatric walker.... they handle up to 500 lbs. I mostly use it if I have to stand any length of time or have to walk very far. Or if I have to carry stuff to the car. The other reason I use it is I know I can sit down without pain or crushing someone's patio furniture. But.... I can use the Crutches for walking about And I have a seat I can bring that is very sturdy and comfortable to sit on. So its all good.

I will start shopping on Craigslist for another. Last one I got at the medical supply store... and I beat the heck out of it carryhing sacks of grain with it.... LOL. I wont have to do that any more when I get my coop rebuilt. New location will allow me to off load feed directly from the truck without Goat interference. LOL

deb

Back
Top Bottom