San Diego Chicken meetup and Chat thread

i was thinking a cattle prod
i'd probably be sent to jail.
got lectured the other day because i yelled three words at her, "Stop it please." after she kept pressuring me to buy a replacement dvd for a niece even though the mother of the girl told me not to.

and today, she is currently set against integrating the young chicks with the grown ones - came and yelled, 'Have you looked at your chickens?! The babies are cowering in a corner!" They're not babies, they're at their teenage stage and they need to integrate into the flock.

Also, my darling SilkiexJG roo has been doing the cutest thing when he's around the little chicks, he'll try sitting on top of them to keep them warm.

I think it was during that mild heat wave we got, or it could have been because she left them out in direct sunlight for a month. The house usually stays in the 70-72 range, so I think what she was a blood spot not an eye, but whatever, now she won't touch the eggs.

I have silkies :) Of course, I think they are darling....I'll put up a picture tomorrow if you want. I don't know if they would be what you're looking for. Mixed colors, a lot of silver and Colombian.... 

Hi - Thank you for your response. I would appreciate seeing pictures. Do you have them in breeding pens by color?

Thanks again!

Laurel

Last edited:
I went from 20+ eggs a day to 5-6... I am losing my mind. Its a **** squirrel infestation. Every time I walk down they all scatter and run out of my big coop. I am LIVID.

I am in VC too. No problem with squirrels,but I left the bucket of eggs out yesterday ...got sidetracked ...and when I went back out there were eggs broken and on the ground I thought what in the heck.....well it was the crows!!! They had themselves quite a nice lunch!! I won't forget the eggs again!! ...well I probably will but hopefully the crows, won't notice!

I am really looking forward to the meet up in Norco

I have egg trays for sale if anybody wants them

like these but in black 3 for 5 bucks or 7 for 10

I also have paper mache large egg flats. They hold 20 large turkey/peafowl/goose eggs rather than the standard 30 chicken eggs. 3 for a dollar

if anybody is interested in 10lb hanging chicken feeders

similiar to this

but in a solid red ABS plastic - i can get them for you at $12 ea or 2 for $20 within the month

I'm a bit confused, how warm is it?  I leave my eggs out all the time, for a long time and they don't develop, it's just not that hot! 
You're right. They won't start developing by just sitting on the counter, even in real warm temps. I had that happen once with some eggs a friend gave me. She claimed that she gathered eggs daily, but I opened one to find a feathered chick inside. She probably found some eggs that the hen had been sitting on for a while and mixed them in with fresh eggs. I won't use ANY eggs I find in the yard because I don't know how long they've been there or if any hen has set on them for any length of time.

Anyone have Khaki Campbell drakes that are close to or adults? There's a post on Craigslist, I've written twice but can't get a response, so I'm looking elsewhere.

Back
Top Bottom