San Diego Chicken meetup and Chat thread

Thank you for the warm welcome! What a fun and exciting community I was introduced to! Please try this link to see what I am talking about,
and yes you can open and close them with some power and a controller. I look forward to interacting with you all.

- Mike Dee

I have been using the smoke fire damper as well. I originally posted it. I have it on a time clock and it opens in the morning an closes at night. It works great! It operates at 120 volts

Mallard Creek is the brand for rice hulls. East County Feed store in Santee carries them.... So does Double S Feed.

Bonita may.... carry them. But Any feed store in San Diego is going to carry Shavings.

You have to talk to the feed stores in your area. If they Carry Mallard Creek shavings they can get the Rice hulls too.

deb

Slow to post - sorry - I have been playing with my chickens

I absolutely love rice hulls. My coops are in the tropics so its always wet. The rice hulls are always dry. They dry out poop very quickly so they keep the smell down.

The big advantage is they compost up nicely with the chicken poop. Rice hulls have good amounts of Phosphate and Potash so when you add the poop you get the needed Nitrogen. You end up with a 60-60-60 fertilizer. I have gone from being able to barely grow plants to a veggie garden bursting with beans, spinach, egg plants, squash and soon to have tomatoes.

Slow to post - sorry - I have been playing with my chickens

I absolutely love rice hulls. My coops are in the tropics so its always wet. The rice hulls are always dry. They dry out poop very quickly so they keep the smell down.

The big advantage is they compost up nicely with the chicken poop. Rice hulls have good amounts of Phosphate and Potash so when you add the poop you get the needed Nitrogen. You end up with a 60-60-60 fertilizer. I have gone from being able to barely grow plants to a veggie garden bursting with beans, spinach, egg plants, squash and soon to have tomatoes.
Is there a difference between rice hulls for the coop and hulls used for brewing. It seems all I find is for brewing and 50 pounds costs 4 times that if shavings!!!

Quote:
I buy mine from the feed store.... they cost a little more than shavings but they last two to three times longer. Mallard Creek is the company that packages them. They do horse bedding as well as pellet stove pellets. If your feed store carries Mallard Creek bedding of any kind they will be able to get the Rice hulls as well.

http://mallardcreekinc.com/distribution/equine-products/#

Sorry I havent been able to find another manufacture or distributor of rice hulls in California. The bales come as five or six cubic feet compressed.

deb

I buy mine from the feed store.... they cost a little more than shavings but they last two to three times longer. Mallard Creek is the company that packages them. They do horse bedding as well as pellet stove pellets. If your feed store carries Mallard Creek bedding of any kind they will be able to get the Rice hulls as well.

http://mallardcreekinc.com/distribution/equine-products/#

Sorry I havent been able to find another manufacture or distributor of rice hulls in California. The bales come as five or six cubic feet compressed.

deb

Hey Deb,
Where in san Diego can you get them? Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom