San Diego Chicken meetup and Chat thread

Hello, hello~

Giving a quick life update before I disappear again.

Chickens are doing great. Currently paying off a bunch of debt so I can finally finally renovate their poor coop. 'Rents have given the clear for rabbits since they have more experience having those as little 'uns. I've just started another AS program and hope to get my BS soon. During discussions with my classmates, I heard there's some sort of nut that exclusively feeds their chickens tomatos to give the yolk that "red" color and is selling their eggs for a ridiculous price.

Which I then went on to explain that the desired red/orange color should come from a balanced diet - which includes a ton more than tomato.

Having a stressful time at work and home life is not so great either.

@perchie.girl hey deb -- I hope you feel better. :(

Hello, hello~

Giving a quick life update before I disappear again.

Chickens are doing great. Currently paying off a bunch of debt so I can finally finally renovate their poor coop. 'Rents have given the clear for rabbits since they have more experience having those as little 'uns. I've just started another AS program and hope to get my BS soon. During discussions with my classmates, I heard there's some sort of nut that exclusively feeds their chickens tomatos to give the yolk that "red" color and is selling their eggs for a ridiculous price.

Which I then went on to explain that the desired red/orange color should come from a balanced diet - which includes a ton more than tomato.

Having a stressful time at work and home life is not so great either.

@perchie.girl hey deb -- I hope you feel better. :(

Hey back at you.... working on getting better. Have you started working in your field?

WRT rabbits I am hearing great food to meat conversion so much so they out distance chicken by far.

Hope to meet you some day at a meetup.... but Life.... you know ...

deb

Found a stash of eggs hidden on the property today! Those darn girls! I have no idea how long they've been laying in this spot (could only have started from November 2015 when I moved), but I hate the idea of wasting and throwing them all away. What does everyone do with eggs they find?

I fill the sink with warm water and put the eggs into the water. If they lay on the bottom they are fresh, if they stand on their pointy end they are good for hard boiling and if they float I throw them at someone's house (just kidding). After I determine which ones are edible I feed them to my dogs or the pigs.

I am looking to buy a few full grown ready or already laying hens to add to my flock. I live in the Temecula area. Does anyone know

Looking for super fresh double yolker eggs to buy for a project.
Please contact me if you have any.
I just need a few more to develop and I will be able to write the paper. All contributors of eggs will be acknowledged on the paper :)

I just need a few more to develop and I will be able to write the paper. All contributors of eggs will be acknowledged on the paper
smile.png

I wish I have some to give you. I am keeping a rooster now (with a collar and it is working). Hope you get some good eggs soon.

I just need a few more to develop and I will be able to write the paper. All contributors of eggs will be acknowledged on the paper :)

I wish I have some to give you.  I am keeping a rooster now (with a collar and it is working).  Hope you get some good eggs soon. 

Thank you!
Glad to hear the collar is working!

Back
Top Bottom