San Diego Chicken meetup and Chat thread

Anyone have a broody, that needs eggs? I have some that are about a week or so away from hatching. They are bantam cochin, free if anyone will take them I think there are 6, I really dont want any more chicks lol If you live close they should survive the move. I am in national city. 

I have 5 broodies right now. I can take them if you need me to. I'm in santee. I don't really need more but i will have chicks anyway so what's a few more? Lol i have someone that will want them once they are grown a bit so no big deal. :)

I have 5 broodies right now. I can take them if you need me to. I'm in santee. I don't really need more but i will have chicks anyway so what's a few more? Lol i have someone that will want them once they are grown a bit so no big deal. :)

yes please come get them i get off at 3 today and tomorrow

Does anyone have any female coturnix quail available? We had a rat attack and my female was killed.
hit.gif
The male was injured but seems to be healing nicely, and he's going to need a friend or two.

As far as the rats go, the quail are indoor until I build a rat proof enclosure and I went and bought an air rifle yesterday. Setting traps too, but I'm not waiting around for them to work.

HI

In the Philippines we have issues with rats because our place is a small coconut plantation - the rats love coconuts

To prevent rats we use Galvanized Iron flat sheet around anything we dont want rats to climb - my brooders, quail cages, coops and even the coconut trees.

When we first did it we had a biblical plague as the rats came down from their nests in the trees and could not get back up. We then set those black poison houses and wiped most out. I am not a fan of poison but sometimes it has to be.

Something as simple as a couple of repurposed soda cans nailed to the legs of a quail cage stand works wonders.

Good Luck

The brooder getting rat resistant. It also lives on a stand with the legs sitting in cans of water with a bit of bleach in it to prevent ants.

The coop has cinder blocks below ground and 15 inches of GI sheet above ground.

A bit hard to see but the trees in the distance are far back enough to see the GI sheet about 20 feet up

Last edited:
Ah, thanks for the tips.

I had the quail in a rabbit hutch, but it wasn't ideal anyway (had to be careful changing food & water without letting the quail out) so I may take my smaller coop (that has an attached run made from hardware cloth) and turn it into a quail palace. It has a door that I can shut at night, and I could put hardware cloth on the bottom of the run.

I may take the rabbit hutch, rat proof it, and stick it in the garage as a chick brooder. I don't have any chicks right now, or plans for any, so that project can go on the back burner.

Hi Everyone,

Hope you all are having a wonderful summer!!!

White Mountains Ranch has the following for sale:

1. I have a couple young purebred Ameraucana pullets for sale. $30 each.

2. Ameraucana Hatching Eggs. $45 per dozen.

3. We are rehoming our very big wonderful doggie Dakota. To approved home only.

4. Two purebred registered Nubian Goat Herdsires, bottle babies, weaned. 6 mo old. $300 each.

5. Ram and Ewe Barbados Blackbelly Sheep, both for $200.

6. One very sweet bottle baby female goat named Bree. Purebred registered Nubian. 6 mo old. $400.

7. Thanksgiving Turkeys - preorder and put your deposit down on yours!

8. Whole fresh frozen chicken from the ranch. $5 per pound.

9. And lastly, WE HAVE SPOTS AVAILABLE IN OUR HERDSHARE FOR GOAT MILK.

Please see our website for more info and stuff! www.whitemountainsranch.org

Please PM me for more info or to come out to the ranch!

Thank you!!!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom