San Diego Chicken meetup and Chat thread

I have a Sicilian buttercup that layed her first egg on New Year's Day and has been consistent with every other day since. My two barred rocks started laying shortly after and one lays every day the second every one or two days. I am getting a dozen a week from the three girls
1f60a.png
1f60a.png

Sad day. I went in to check on the silkie and make sure the others were settling in with the saddles...

Turns out that the Barred Rock passed away and now I have to deal with a couple of bullies. Seems they pecked open her head enough to rip the skin apart and get down to whatever bone is there on the neck. Bore down a hole. Previously an RIR went missing and now this. Not a good week.

Sad day. I went in to check on the silkie and make sure the others were settling in with the saddles...

Turns out that the Barred Rock passed away and now I have to deal with a couple of bullies. Seems they pecked open her head enough to rip the skin apart and get down to whatever bone is there on the neck. Bore down a hole. Previously an RIR went missing and now this. Not a good week.

I have had raccoons that have done this... if they got a hold of her the chickens would have joined in after she was dead....

sorry for your loss. Double check your wire... the racoons were getting in through a hole only big enough to get their heads in. for me

deb

@perchie.girl

Thanks deb.
I will - I need to sit down with the rents and the rest of the fambam before I can go ahead and do anything.

The rents believe it was either the older hens or some cats, but the body was pretty in tact. Just laying below the roost with the older girls sleeping peacefully above it.

My mother says she heard a commotion earlier and thought that maybe they were hungry or thirsty and hadnt bothered to check on her - though she was laying an egg, huddled up in the corner below the roost as she was.

Last edited:
I have a Sicilian buttercup that layed her first egg on New Year's Day and has been consistent with every other day since. My two barred rocks started laying shortly after and one lays every day the second every one or two days. I am getting a dozen a week from the three girls
1f60a.png
1f60a.png
:highfive: Those girls have earned some treats!

You are all again cordially invited to the Spring Lake Elsinore, CPP/BYC South meet-up. The date is Saturday, March 28th, and the location will be at Lakepoint Park, at 420 E Lakeshore Dr Lake Elsinore, CA. 92530. Starts at 10am (set up as early as you want, please bring me some donuts and coffee, lol) and goes until dusk or when Susan stops talking lol. There are trees, a playground, restrooms, and a limited amount of picnic tables w/bbq's (3 in the area). Plenty of parking, but will have to make an aprox 100 yard walk. The spot is overlooking the lake and the weather should be perfect. So come one, come all and tell a friend and pack a picnic lunch.
Feel free to add pictures of what you're looking for or what you want to bring. And please share the thread. Any questions, PM me... Thanks...

Back
Top Bottom