San Diego Chicken meetup and Chat thread

you're right Deb and my chain link enclosures have chain link panels on top as well of course. just have to remember to re tighten ALL hardware.
I am almost certain that any bird losses can always be traced back to lack of proper due diligence by me and I hate that as much as losing any.

Bummer
sad.png

Hey Stranger Cindy, thanks for the words, on the plus side my friend who took the Ca. Valley Quail eggs and the others which of course I can't recall name of now had nice hatch and told me the other day he would like to get some more this year if possible.
Also, Albert the beautiful Polish Roo I hatched from one of your eggs is stunning. the 2 hens are quite remarkable also.
Will post some photos anter I get my act together.
Thanks, yer the best!
Glenn

Aww...so glad some eggs hatched. Would love to see picture whenever...
smile.png

I won't be going to the Alpine thingy. I have to go to a memorial service. Will miss seeing you if you do go. My valley quail are just maybe thinking about laying, and the Gambel quail are laying now.

you're right Deb and my chain link enclosures have chain link panels on top as well of course. just have to remember to re tighten ALL hardware.
I am almost certain that any bird losses can always be traced back to lack of proper due diligence by me and I hate that as much as losing any.

me too.... many losses do to diligence negligence.... on my part

deb

me too.... many losses do to diligence negligence.... on my part

deb

This kind of thinking has it's advantages, as it teaches you to improve security. BUT ... for the predators, it is a matter of life and death. If they need food badly enough, they will go to great lengths. Nature is a harsh mistress. Keeping a flock secure is at least as much luck as it is diligence.

I am not saying to disregard security, not at all. I am also not trying to downplay how sad it is to lose birds. I am only trying to say that when things go south, remember that the stakes are high for all the animals, in ways they aren't for us personally. I am sorry for all the losses. :(

Quote:
Actually I want the predators to stay. Because I can train the existing ones... the fences bite... (hotwire).... Or My fortresses are too much work.

If they stay they will defend their territory still and keep the others out.

I actually feed the Ravens my excess eggs... um er Fed the ravens.

The horse can take care of herself.... her number five hooves are frighteningly accurate... I have seen her punch an eight inch diameter hole right through a plywood wall.... The corresponding chunk of plywood was found across the driveway about twenty feet away. She is good with both rears and fronts....

The goats need a true barn to be locked up at night... My bad.... I wont get them again till I have one. I dont do dairy I just do weed eaters....

I actually don't begrudge the occasional loss to predation. My loss but I know they gotto live. Thats why I plan on a free range flock. Guineas and Sumatras together.... The survivors will get to breed .... Wily and unfriendly is the best trait...

But I truly despise the feral dog predation .... Got my goats....killed one and ran the other two off. Once I get home I will follow SSS practice... But I will do due dilligence to protect my goats... I would love to have my horse get hold of the dog that decides to "play" goat games...

Actually going to get a mammoth donkey or mule for herd protection.... They will take care of dogs that arent supposed to be there.

deb

Actually I want the predators to stay. Because I can train the existing ones... the fences bite... (hotwire).... Or My fortresses are too much work.

If they stay they will defend their territory still and keep the others out.

I actually feed the Ravens my excess eggs... um er Fed the ravens.

The horse can take care of herself.... her number five hooves are frighteningly accurate... I have seen her punch an eight inch diameter hole right through a plywood wall.... The corresponding chunk of plywood was found across the driveway about twenty feet away. She is good with both rears and fronts....

The goats need a true barn to be locked up at night... My bad.... I wont get them again till I have one. I dont do dairy I just do weed eaters....

I actually don't begrudge the occasional loss to predation. My loss but I know they gotto live. Thats why I plan on a free range flock. Guineas and Sumatras together.... The survivors will get to breed .... Wily and unfriendly is the best trait...

But I truly despise the feral dog predation .... Got my goats....killed one and ran the other two off. Once I get home I will follow SSS practice... But I will do due dilligence to protect my goats... I would love to have my horse get hold of the dog that decides to "play" goat games...

Actually going to get a mammoth donkey or mule for herd protection.... They will take care of dogs that arent supposed to be there.

deb

Totally with you on this, and have a huge respect for the wild animals. I am a coyote behaviorist, used to work with state fish and game and had permits for keeping large predators. I learned a lot about fencing needs by building fences to keep coyotes in.
big_smile.png
(My former coyote and bobcat runs are now chicken pens!)
roll.png

My favorite assets here are a pair of ravens that I raised almost 25 years ago. They are always close by, have their own chickens that they can have all the eggs from and they bring their babies by. In return, they chase all hawks out of their area! And they have never disturbed any of my several hundred birds in any way.

My dogs are also very important for keeping the bigger predators back a ways, although they are not out all the time. Like you say though, you can work with the predators that you get to know.

I do put my mini horses in at night. I have a regular size burro that will chase anything. (Except our own dogs). The majority of my horses started life as wild horses and are predator smart. I used to have a llama and he surprised me one day by fighting three feral dogs that were trying to attack him. I thought he was worth his weight in gold after that! We very seldom have dog issues here because we are so far away from anybody else, but those dogs were the worst! Give me wild animals over feral dogs and cats any day!!!

I don't know if this is a good idea for those in more populated areas....but I actually do try to help the wildlife from being quit so desperate by keeping a couple of low troughs filled with clean water.
In the city, this may draw more to you though....

Sorry for everybody's losses. With drought, it is only more difficult for everything.

Whoops everyone, if I do indeed attend the Alpine shindig, should I bring any turkey eggs for sale?
All chocolates except 5 or 6 that are one of Porter's darker breed hens (similar to eastern Wild) with a Bourbon Red Tom over her.

glenn
Here is information I copied off the CPP site. BYCers welcome.... It's TOMORROW!! APRIL 18th...I can't be there, but hope some of you can go
big_smile.png

We are excited to see everyone for the Chicken Meetup tomorrow at 10am here at Secret Hills Ranch! Please bring your own tables, boxes and crates etc. We do have a few picnic tables as well as some wooden chairs in the olive tree grove for people to use, but plan on bringing your own tables and chairs just in case smile emoticon If anyone needs electricity if you bring an extension cord there is electricity close by you are welcome to use. If you have any questions please feel free to message me. smile emoticon Please remember when you arrive tomorrow to follow the directions provided to Secret Hills Ranch and park in the Olive Tree Grove which is where the meetup will happen. smile emoticon Thanks all see you tomorrow!! https://www.facebook.com/events/1033735786655522/

Made a document for Potluck.
https://www.facebook.com/notes/san-...tluck-list-for-the-sd-meetup/1625452417692229

Secret Hills Ranch will be hosting a San Diego Chicken Swap here at the ranch in our shaded Olive Grove with plenty of parking! Come to buy/sell/trade April 18, 10am Start Time.
Driving Directions To Secret Hills Ranch:
Our address is
2715 South Grade Rd
Alpine, CA 91901
619-820-2994 Missy cell phone
Best way to get here:
- From the 8 East Freeway take the Willows Rd West Exit
- Turn Right then turn immediate right onto Alpine Blvd.
- Turn Left onto South Grade Rd.
- Drive Approx 1 mile after a sharp hard right turn our ranch will be on your left side. There will be plastic white fencing with green chain link, brick pillar walls, signs that say Secret Hills Ranch, Home Of QTsGold Mastercard and we have White Gates with horses on them. Go PAST the main entrance about 200 feet and turn left into the Olive tree grove where the Chicken Meetup will take place.

Quote:
I keep my water tubs filled to the top so even the squirrels and rabbits can drink. This way if they fall in they wont drown just swim to the edge and they can crawl out. After I started doing that I stopped having to fish out carcasses. Even the birds can get out now... Whew. I have one of those 110 gallon tubs and I was even finding those small cotton tails in there... So They can jump high.

The hay is not fenced and I get deer tracks occasionally. I should put out a salt block as well... they all need salt.

I would love to pick your brain on the wild life and fencing. Or if you have a link to a source of info on it I would love that as well. Back just after the Cedar fires I had a Bobcat pick off thirty chickens in thirty days. The gal at the feed store said It was probably feeding kittens. the next couple of years after that the predator population was outrageous... They finally reestablished their territories thank goodness.

deb

Back
Top Bottom