Sand as Bedding

My Pretty Pekins

Songster
Apr 25, 2019
Somewhere in the English Countryside
My Coop
My Coop
I have a few queries about using sand as bedding in the coop I have in progress.

A bit of background information, and then we'll get into my questions. I plan on keeping 5-10 Silkie adults in this coop. The number will probably not rise above 6 but there's square footage enough for 10. They will also have a covered dirt run. However, it does rain a lot where I live in winter/autumn, so this could be boggy at time. I've made sure there'll be plenty of room in the coop and am hoping that, if they like, the Silkies could dustbath in the sand.
So...
1. Is this possible? Would they dustbath in the sand?
2. Has anyone used sand in a playhouse before - do they have feedback?
3. How and how often would I clean this out?

Thank you!

Sorry - just to clarify, the sand is only inside the coop, which will obviously be weatherproofed. Would you still recommend an alternative, or...?

I've never used sand myself. I live in a humid, rainy climate and I want the compost for my garden.

Scooping poop has always sounded like WAY TOO MUCH WORK for me, when I can just clean it out my deep bedding every 6-12 weeks and make compost. :)

I've used sand in the coop. I prefer to use shavings in the winter, since it's warmer, but sand is wonderfully cool in the summer. Yes, they do dust bathe in it, and very happily. The larger space per hen it has, the better it works and the less often you have to clean it.
I just use a leaf rake and rake the stuff off about every other day.
I still use it in the run, even in the winter.

I've used sand in the coop. I prefer to use shavings in the winter, since it's warmer, but sand is wonderfully cool in the summer. Yes, they do dust bathe in it, and very happily. The larger space per hen it has, the better it works and the less often you have to clean it.
I just use a leaf rake and rake the stuff off about every other day.
I still use it in the run, even in the winter.
Thank you for the tips! Perhaps we'll give it a try. What do you put under it? Do you have a plastic lining for the coop floor?

Sand does not work well as bedding/litter, is very heavy, no insulating qualities and does not compost. In a covered run that is often muddy especially around the low spots or the water fount, I have used a couple inches of crushed limestone to keep the chickens feet out of the mud(and mine too when I must go in there) I have not covered the entire run, just under and around the ramp bottom, run door, feeder and water.(in fact, I usually put the waterer in the lowest depression on the side of a run, filled with crushed rock to slightly elevate the spot and encourage runoff out the side). if you have clay soils sand is a poor soil amendment. It eventually will form a hardpan layer were molds grow and water does not pass through it easily, similar concrete, several inches or maybe a foot or so down in the soil profile as it separates from the tilled soil over time. Sand is good for making concrete, glass and building sand castles. Leave it out of the hen coop and don't add it to your garden or compost! Use perlite, vermiculite or other materials for good soil drainage and be better in the long run , while handling much less weight! Use pine shavings, wheat or barley straw or cannabis fiber materials designed for bedding/litter. Even tree leaves or unspoiled hay would be better than sand in my opinion.

Sand does not work well as bedding/litter, is very heavy, no insulating qualities and does not compost. In a covered run that is often muddy especially around the low spots or the water fount, I have used a couple inches of crushed limestone to keep the chickens feet out of the mud(and mine too when I must go in there) I have not covered the entire run, just under and around the ramp bottom, run door, feeder and water.(in fact, I usually put the waterer in the lowest depression on the side of a run, filled with crushed rock to slightly elevate the spot and encourage runoff out the side). if you have clay soils sand is a poor soil amendment. It eventually will form a hardpan layer were molds grow and water does not pass through it easily, similar concrete, several inches or maybe a foot or so down in the soil profile as it separates from the tilled soil over time. Sand is good for making concrete, glass and building sand castles. Leave it out of the hen coop and don't add it to your garden or compost! Use perlite, vermiculite or other materials for good soil drainage and be better in the long run , while handling much less weight! Use pine shavings, wheat or barley straw or cannabis fiber materials designed for bedding/litter. Even tree leaves or unspoiled hay would be better than sand in my opinion.
Thank you for the advice! I'll look into these, too.

Back
Top Bottom