Sand as Bedding

WatchYourStep

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 20, 2012
We're thinking of switching to sand.
What type of sand should we use? Play sand? construction sand? gravel?
How cold is too cold for sand? What do you do if it gets too cold?
What is too hot? What do you do if it gets too hot?

Is this for the run?
Construction sand is easy to get hold of, and you can get a ton of it! For not that much neither.
Sand stays cool unless in the sun, then it will get warm and hot sometimes, but sand in the run is a life saver, as well as in the coop.

yeah is can be, it is all just sand, you can use play sand if you really want but i am not sure how much a bag that is, and the bag is little. In the winter it will be cold, but i read somewhere that some people just put pine bedding down over it.

We use the sand in both the coop and turkey shed. However, it serves as the base and is covered with wood chips and a bit of straw. A removable stop just inside coop, will prevent sand from being migrated by `happy feet' out into the run. If roosts aren't too high sand might serve as bedding (in a warm climate) but is not (without 4" or so) as easy on fat production hen's legs, as some softer bedding, when they hop down. We change out sand, once a year (added to run) but clean both coop and shed daily (don't know how sand would work as base in `deep litter' or wkly/monthly coop cleaning schedule).

Last edited:
I have another question.
tongue.png

Thank you for all the replies.
smile.png

What do you do with the dirty sand? Can you put it in your garden? Does it compost?

I perfer Play sand to all purpose sand because its "smoother" and less dusty. and I like the color better. My hardware store sells both for the same price :) also I think the play sand may come in bigger 50lb bags... maybe because its lighter??
idunno.gif

Back
Top Bottom