Sand dyed my quails!

Pics? I have wanted to add sand to my terrarium for mine, but was worried about this.

IMG_20190202_163930.jpg

View attachment 1661468

I figure the colouration comes from the Beta Carotene which seems fine given it's a plant pigment. I'll laugh at my birds with a clear conscience now before switching out their bath.

Mystery solved! Was that bathing sand or a dietary supplement? Either way, glad it's nothing awful.

My Coturnix prefer straight dirt over everything else I've provided them—just the right particle size, and probably good for the immune system.

Hilarious, and hopefully harmless.

Do you have the bag the sand came in? It might list what sort of coloring was used.

IMG_20190202_181243.jpg

I figure the colouration comes from the Beta Carotene which seems fine given it's a plant pigment. I'll laugh at my birds with a clear conscience now before switching out their bath.

Last edited:
I think it was actually supposed to be a dietary supplement for reptiles - it's made to be fine enough so they don't get impacted. I didn't read the bag much before, I just saw it was $7 instead of $17! I was just using potting soil before but a friend recommended pet safe sand, I don't remember why. I'll switch to dirt.

Back
Top Bottom