Sand dyed my quails!

Pics? I have wanted to add sand to my terrarium for mine, but was worried about this.

IMG_20190202_163930.jpg

Hilarious, and hopefully harmless.

Do you have the bag the sand came in? It might list what sort of coloring was used.

IMG_20190202_181243.jpg

I figure the colouration comes from the Beta Carotene which seems fine given it's a plant pigment. I'll laugh at my birds with a clear conscience now before switching out their bath.

Last edited:
View attachment 1661468

I figure the colouration comes from the Beta Carotene which seems fine given it's a plant pigment. I'll laugh at my birds with a clear conscience now before switching out their bath.

Mystery solved! Was that bathing sand or a dietary supplement? Either way, glad it's nothing awful.

My Coturnix prefer straight dirt over everything else I've provided them—just the right particle size, and probably good for the immune system.

I think it was actually supposed to be a dietary supplement for reptiles - it's made to be fine enough so they don't get impacted. I didn't read the bag much before, I just saw it was $7 instead of $17! I was just using potting soil before but a friend recommended pet safe sand, I don't remember why. I'll switch to dirt.

Back
Top Bottom