1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sand in the coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ellie32526, Feb 23, 2013.

1. ellie32526

ellie32526 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2012
    North Texas
    Those of you that use sand on your coop floor please tell me what type of sand you buy and where do you obtain it? I see a 60# tube of Quikcrete sand on the TS website. I don't have a truck but I am really leaning toward using sand instead of pine shavings.

1 person likes this.
  2. NightHawk123

NightHawk123 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2012
    shelby, north carolina
    We get our sand at the local creek. They dredge it almost every day. We get it by the dump truck load and 1 load will last 2 years or so. Really any sand is fine tho.

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    I use river sand from a local reservoir. The Corp of Engineers lower the level in the winter, exposing sand everywhere. I don't use it on my coop but do so in the run.

1 person likes this.
  4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    I looked into buying sand, but they wanted too much to deliver it. So we now dig it out of the nearby washes and arroyos. Look around your area and see if you can find a place you can load it up yourself. I am hooked on sand. I just started using it in the coop and run and it is marvelous. I even use it in the nest boxes! No odor in the coop, it is soft on the chicken's pads and there are tons of natural stones in it for the gizzards. I will never use shavings or grass hay again. :)

1 person likes this.
  5. NightHawk123

NightHawk123 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2012
    shelby, north carolina
    Twocrow, I know what you mean. Sand or dirt is what a wild chick / chicken lives in. Although it's OK to use other bedding I'm not sure why it is used for chickens. Sand or dirt is great. Just keep the chicks worm and they will thank you for using sand.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by